Hi all

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Mom as been diagnosed with cancer and not to sure how to talk about it, as I have to be constantly strong

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that your mum has been diagnosed with cancer, it must be a very difficult time for you both.

Knowing how to talk to your mum about her cancer diagnosis can be difficult but you mustn't feel that you need to be strong in front of her all the time. Take a look at this information from Macmillan on how to talk to someone with cancer as you might find it helpful.

You could also join the family and friends group which is a safe and supportive place to discuss your worries and get support.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and ask questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your mum's journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi sorry it taken so long but life is hectic, we have had no help at all, no advice. Mom been in and out of hospital and now they just said they cannot do anything so go home and wait. We have a lady come once a a fortnight which was not enough, I thought to have carers in and the solihull council want over 400 a month and private even more, so no help now.  Mariy curie were post to phone and nothing.  Mom is only 5 stone now and is losing her memory. I just think we could do with help but seem like moms been left.

If you have any advice many thanks 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

SO so sorry to hear of your plight. If your mom has cancer , surely the macmillan team have helped you.?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi a lady come out once a fortnight but that's it !was told they are busy. That all 

• Hi

There is absolutely no need to apologise for taking a while to reply. 

I'm afraid I haven't been in the same situation as you, as I was the one with cancer, so I don't have any experience of trying to get help with caring. However, I do know that your mum's GP is responsible for her ongoing care now that she has been discharged from hospital.

Have you spoken to your mum's GP recently and asked them for help. I'll add a link here to Macmillan's information on getting support from health and social care professionals so that you can see what sort of things your mum's GP can arrange to help you both.

I hope that you soon start to get the support you need.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"