New diagnosis and difficult decisions

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hello all I was diagnosed with breast cancer 10 days ago and am struggling to make treatment decisions. I'm going for genetic tests but this takes 8-10 weeks so I'm the meantime have been advised to take tamoxifen and wait until test results before surgery. Reading up on the side effects I'm worried it could push me over the edge anxiety wise. I'm self employed and haven't been able to work recently. I live alone and all close family are dead. 

I attended an initial appointment st the nearest haven but not much available before January. I'll ring my local support centre again tomorrow. I feel like I'm drowning

Any advice gratefully received

• Hello and a warm welcome to the community. Any cancer diagnosis knocks the stuffing out of us, but once treatment starts, it takes away some of the anxiety as we know something positive is happening and we have something to focus on. I see you have joined the friendly Breast Group . If you post your questions in the group, there is a wide variety of experiences and the members there will be only too happy to answer any of your questions and concerns, as well as supporting you through this time. To get back to the group, click on the highlighted link and start a new discussion there. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Hello 

I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. My treatment starts within the next week or 2 as I chose to transfer to a different hospital. My cancer requires chemotherapy before surgery. Like you I have struggled with the diagnosis and listening to what is going to happen terrifies me.

I'm sure you could get some financial support so definitely look into that. 

I hope you get lots of support xxx

Charlieandlola