Mum's new diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 57 subscribers

Hi there,  New to all of this.  My Mum has COPD and has just been diagnosed with lung cancer, which has advanced, and they can offer her no treatment.  I am just beside myself, as is my Dad.  I have never had to deal with this before and I just don't know how to cope and be strong for Mum and Dad.  Mum doesn't want to know how long she has left and I guess we are just knocked for six.  The doctors at the hospital have said they don't want to see her any more and have given her various contact numbers, but we just don't know what to do next............

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis and prognosis.

I was the one with the cancer so have no real experience in this but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot so can I direct you to our very supportive Supporting Someone with Incurable Cancer group.This would be be good places where you can connect with others support family through their cancer journey but more importantly the carers care for each other.

Just follow the link above, hitting ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post. 

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allw 2 working days to get a reply.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge