Scared about a recent lump

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 57 subscribers

I'm 28 and have found a lump in my testicles and was worried about getting it checked and left it a little longer until I decided to go to the dr and get it check make sure it wasnt just in my head I've now been booked to have a scan and have started thinking about the outcome cancer runs in my family and now I'm really starting to do my own head in thinking about the worse outcome I've keep thinking about it and have lost appetite and sleep and my stress levels have climbed up drastically I'm just posting this as I haven't really told anyone only very close family and I'm worried about telling the rest of my family do I wait for the results first or do I say that I have been sent to have a scan I'm more worried about telling my brother and sisters as we haven't spoke in 17years and I dont know if I should contact them or not I'm sorry if this dont make sense 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Tom, well done on taking your concerns about your symptoms to your doctor you have absolutely done the right thing. You are bound to feel anxious while you wait for the scan and the results, this would be a normal reaction for anyone in that situation, unfortunately these things can’t be rushed so it’s important not let your imagination run wild while your waiting. As for telling your estranged siblings, at this point I’m not sure it would benefit you, do you have a close friend who you can confide in about your fears, just saying out loud what you are feeling can be a good way of releasing anxiety and removing it’s power to control your thoughts. Remember  just because you are being referred for a scan does not mean you have cancer it’s just your doctor doing his job properly and that can only be a good thing. 

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us.

It’s always a tricky decision as to who to talk with, well done telling your close family and possibly that would do until you get more information and understand what is going on and what treatment you may or may not require.

Can I direct you to this link to our very supportive Testicular cancer group as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Just follow the link above, hitting ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post.

It is good to talk with folks so you may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge