Terminal diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 59 subscribers

Fear, anger, sad,  my husbands been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer stage 4 ... im crying inside but showing strength outside. He has never been seriously ill until he started having bad chests, smoked for over 35 years until stopping a month ago.  He has had his 1st chemo last Thurs and is a bit under the weather today. How he will cope with another 5 treatments concerns me. His Oncologist has mentioned prophylactic cranial irradiation and  Consolidation Thorax radiotherapy if he goes through the chemo course ok. 

How long does that give him and what will his quality of life be like.... im so concerned

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your husband and his diagnosis.

A cancer diagnosis like this can bring a lot of stress, confusion and questions on all the family but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot.

Can I first direct you to this link to our Lung Cancer group as this will open up your concerns to a wider audience who know exactly what you are going through at the moment.

Just follow the link above, hitting ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name, then go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab and set up your own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post. 

As I was the person with the cancer my experience of supporting someone is very limited, although my wife has been amazing over my 20 years. You may also find our Careers Only and  Friends and Family group a good place where you can connect with others support family through their cancer journey but more importantly the carers care for each other.

We also have our dedicated Supporting Someone with Incurable Cancer group

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge