Mum has ovarian cancer spread to the peritoneam

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 60 subscribers

Hi, I have no idea what to say. I'm terrified, angry and devastated. Mum is having her 5th chemo tomorrow. Her cancer isn't curable but containable or manageable. Last ct showed the tumours on her ovaries have not shrunk but they have not grown. But it has killed some cancer cells on her peritoneam. I just dont know what to do. I'm an only child well adult and my mum is all I have. My 11 year old daughter is trying to be strong but I'm worried about her. She is so close to my mum and stays there 3 nights a week as she lives 10 doors away from us. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm new to this being only diagnosed this week. But what is containable and manageable?

It sounds like she can still enjoy having her granddaughter round and presumably isn't in constant pain. Not getting worse is already better than ..... getting worse. 

You can't spend precious time being angry. You mustn't. Ask her if she wants another night or not and prepare your daughter.

• Hi  and welcome to the online community although I'm sorry you've had to find us.

It's quite normal to feel all those emotions when someone you love is diagnosed with cancer and I think you'd benefit from joining the supporting someone with incurable cancer group where you can share your worries as well as discuss practical issues.

You might also like to join the ovarian cancer group as that would give you the opportunity of asking questions about this type of cancer with others who are dealing with it.

To join either or both of these groups just click on the links I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the pages that open. You can then post a question or introduce yourself after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

You might find this information from Macmillan on talking to children about cancer helpful and you can always give the Support Line a call on 0808 808 0000 if you want to chat about how you or your daughter are feeling. It's free to call and is available every day from 8am to 8pm.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your mum's journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Sending a supportive ((hug))

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I can see from your profile that you have recently been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I'm not sure what the terms 'containable and manageable' would mean in relation to this but I'm sure if you post this question in the ovarian cancer group, which I see you've joined, the ladies over there will be able to explain this to you.

Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there.

Wishing you all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you! Link click coming up.