Can Mum be forced into a home against the families wishes?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi everyone I am after a little bit of advice. We have been told that my Mum needs a nursing home as her AML is no longer treatable. She has other complex health issues which have meant we have been told she now has a limited life expectancy. To cut a long story short we have been told she needs a nursing home and last week the hosptial applied for Continued Health Care funding. I got a call this afternoon to tell me that they have found a placement for her in a home that is difficult to get to for the family despite it only being 5 or 6 miles away and that has been rated as inadequate by the CQC in their report in July this year. I have told them that we don't want Mum to go there but I felt pressured and bullied into agreeing to it. I told her I would speak to the family. Can they force her I to a home? I'm worried that her already fragile mental and emotional wellbeing will be jepodised by this and her last few weeks will be awful, stressful and not the way she should be ending her life. 

Please help

Thanks Jules 

• Hi Jules  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us and so sorry to hear about your mum.

I have no first hand experience in this area but can I direct you to these links where you can connect with others supporting family and friends through their cancer journey: Carers ForumFriends and Family Forum  and Supporting someone with incurable cancer

Follow the links above and join the group(s) by hitting the ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name and it is worth indicating how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts.

Go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name and set up your own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00This free service covers Emotional Support, and Practical Information mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Supportin your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jules 

Can I add my welcome to that of TheHighlander's I'm also sorry to see you here but I am pleased that you felt you could reach out us on the question of Continued Health Funding.

This type of funding is a very complex business but from what I have read any decisions should be made with the approval of both your mum and yourselves

I have found this information for you https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/money-work-and-benefits/nhs-continuing-healthcare/&ved=2ahUKEwjxidHp5tjkAhXGbsAKHeDWB28QFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw18bcxYb3xJhQCXs4cavHG_&cshid=1568756394183

When you read through the information you will see that there is a reference to an organisation that gives up to 90 minutes free consultation on continued healthcare if you go into their web site by clicking on the link provided below they have a FAQ section which might explain a bit clearer.

http://www.beaconchc.co.uk/

You might have to move fast as your mum has probably been fast tracked and could be moved into the suggested nursing home very quickly and the last thing you want is mum being moved around more than necessary.

The suggested nursing home probably comes into funding limit that the CCG is prepared to fund but if you were to find another nursing home that would be better suited for mum and yourselves you can suggest this to the CCG and they should contact the home and try and negotiate costs that comes into their funding criteria.

If you were able to you could offer to pay something towards it but I wouldn't be too quick to suggest this to anyone at this stage.

I seem to remember hearing that patients were given three choices by the CCG through the hospitals OT and social worker 

It is very complex and I hope you get your mum settled into somewhere she will be happy in and you can visit easily.

Can I ask that you keep us informed how you get on, this is a very interesting subject which I am sure will be viewed with interest by many members.

Best wishes

Ian

By clicking on the green text above will open up the NHS page on continued Healthcare funding. And also to the Beacon website