Pet scan

• 4 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Is there plenty of room in a pet scanner I'm a bit wary of it being to tight hate being closed in

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you finding us.

These scanner machines are fine, think laying flat on a table and going through a big doughnut..... you are not enclosed like a MRI scan..... you will do great.

You don’t say what type of condition you are being scanned for but we have lots of Cancer specific  support groups where you will connect with people who understand the journey you are on. You can ask the folks questions about tests, treatments and what to expect during the months ahead.

Follow the link above and look through the groups then once you have found the relevant group hit the ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name and it is worth indicating how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts.

Go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name and set up your own Discussion and introduce yourself to the group.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering cancer diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi and welcome to the community. It is understandable you are a bit wary of the scanner, but it is a painless procedure and once you get used to it, it can be a relaxing experience. Although you are enclosed, there is enough space around you so as not to feel uncomfortable. The staff are usually very reassuring, and although you are in there on your own, they can see and hear you. Cancer research UK have produced a good youtube video which will give you an idea of what to expect if you click HERE. Also, if you let us know what you are being treated for, we can point you to a group where others will be going through the same and will be able to share experiences. Best wishes. 

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thank you highlander I feel much better knowing a bit more about it sorry I'm not very good with computers and phones bit I will do my best to keep in touch cheers

Kjjd

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Swans r us

The morning i was due to go for a PET scan i had myself in a right state, like you i was scared it was enclosed and that i wouldn't be able to do it. While sobbing on the end of my bed my son came in and asked what was wrong. I told him, he disappeared for a few minutes then came in with a You Tube video of a PET scan. Immediately i felt so much better, i also told the nurse my anxieties once i arrived at the hospital and she offered to show me the scanner before i went in. It is more like a CT scan than a MRI.

Good Luck x