Recently diagnosed with Breast Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 59 subscribers

Hi 

I found a lump beginning of April went to the Drs got referred to Breast Care Centre, had scans, mammogram and biopsy’s eventually was told I had a large mass that needed removing and needed my lymph nodes removed. My mastectomy was on 20 May I have recovered well and like a lot of you it’s all happened so quick and it’s getting your head round it all. 

My treatment I was told will be the full sheebang! Starting with 6 chemotherapy sessions followed by 15 radiotherapy sessions followed by hormone therapy. I was offered the optima trail which meant if I was successful I wouldn’t need chemotherapy just the hormone therapy I was put forward but unfortunately I found out today that my treatment would be chemotherapy etc... Even though I thought I was prepared for the answer it still was a shock. I got home and cried and cried, not just for me but for my children seeing their mum go through it just isn’t fair.

I am looking for any advice or help for this next journey in my life.

Much love

Zoe x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Zoe

I am so sorry to hear about what you’ve been through and I can understand the prospect of going through the whole shebang must seem daunting, especially with children. I’ve been through chemo and radiotherapy for womb cancer. Mi children were 10 and 13 at the time. All I can say is that you’re not alone. 

There are lots of sources of support here in this community, including groups where people with similar cancer journeys can support each other and share their experiences. 

There is a group for  Breast cancer for the under-50s forum and a larger Breast cancer forum where you will connect with people who understand the journey you are on. You can ask the folks questions about tests, treatments and what to expect during the months ahead.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Our Online Information and Support Section  is a good place to find information covering cancer diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support Groups in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

All the very best.