gliomablastoma multiform grade 4 terminal

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 58 subscribers

My husband diagnosis is as above inoperable terminal aggressive tumour . Given 6-12 months  with treatment .

6 weeks of intensive chemo and radiotherapy   and the tried one lot of chemo but was extremely fatigued and mobility confusion Increased.

Finding it difficult with personality and behaviour changes , everyone telling us what we can and can’t do .

my husband had changed so much and although have had support he is reluctant to accept help as he thinks he can do everything as he could before , I’m battling reality of this trying to support part of my husband that believes he can still see drive cook and work but isn’t able too . I have been told not to contradict him and give hope but difficult when you can see the changes.our life is very different ,I can’t believe that we have to go through this cruel cancer as a family and resenting the fact that I’ don’t count in this whole situation.

my husband was my strong gentle secure enough giant , to changeable Incredible Hulk verbally abusive because of personality changes and behaviour but he still has capacity professional opinion . All I asked was for respite as I’m very exhausted and poorly but he refuses to accept but I can’t leave him on his own and we argue about things that are not safe but I’m trying to compromise but difficult as he was mechanic and lorry driver fiercely independent and feels his life is total stripped away, he says that he’s just waiting to die and not allowed to to work but he feels able to drive , etc .. brain telling him he can but physically and cognitively cant

• Hello , I wanted to welcome you to the community that no one really wants to join. I read your post and your profile, no wonder you are exhausted and I’m saddened that you say you feel you don’t count.

The new to the community is a little bit like a reception where we can meet and great you and suggest some groups, I can see you have already found the friends and family group but as you are the spouse and supporting someone with an incurable diagnosis I wanted to suggest a few others groups to consider. I’ve put the links in below for you to click on. 

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/nearing_the_end/discussions

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/carers_only/discussions

It must be very important for you to vent, and have someone to listen to you and perhaps offer some suggestions for support. I can see that you have the help of a hospice and there remit is to help the whole family not just the patient so I do hope they are able to help you, it might just be your frustrated with the time it is taking to help you. 

I had a friend who had breast cancer that had spread to her brain, she had a respite stay in a local hospice while they sorted out meds for her, and then they arranged carers for her as her husband was elderly and couldn’t cope. my friend wanted to remain in control but wanted to see her husband supported and she arranged for a rota of friends to come round to give him just upto an hour aday to go out on his own. I was so hoping that he could be talked around to something similar to help you. 

I am out of my personal experience zone to help further but please consider talking to the Macmillan support line (the details are after my signature) or to read or talk to others in some of the groups who may have similar experience to you.

There is also a glioblastoma group where patients and their carers post that might also help.

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/glioblastoma_multiforme_brain_tumour/discussions

best wishes

Take care KT