My sister has advanced stage 4 breast cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 59 subscribers

Hi

My older sister (I'm 40 she is 44) was diagnosed with breast cancer nearly 5 years ago and after a lot of treatment the cancer has continued to spread 2vweeks ago we found out it had spread to the brain. She is having radiotherapy but this is only going to buy her a little more time. I am struggling seeing her decline so drastically in such a short space of time. She continues to show strength and positivity but I and finding the thought of her dying a terrifying reality and I'm frightened I won't cope. We are a big family and very close....lots of children between all the brothers and sisters. My sister has always been to family lead in organising and planning I now I find everyonecstsrting to look to me for support which I'm happy to do but I guess it's just overwhelming.....

Sorry for babbling I love any support you can offer xxx

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am sorry to see you having to find us.

I am so sorry to hear about your sister and this must be a very hard time for all the family and with it brings all types of stress on the family unit but talking with people who are on the same journey can help a lot and will reduce the whirlwind wind that is rushing in your head.

My cancer journey was rather different so I ha e no first hand experience to bring to you but I see that you have joined the Family and Friends Forum.

This would be a good place to connect with people who understand the journey you are all on. You can ask the folks questions about how to get through this time.

We also have our Carers Forum and Supporting someone with incurable cancer forum.

The best way to get support is to go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name. Set up your own Discussion and Introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’ section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support Groups in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

When you feel up to it think about putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself.

To do this click on YOUR username, look to the left and select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

All the very best to you all.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge