Husband's recent back pain = spine mets from Colon Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 57 subscribers

So - my Husband, who had Colon Cancer in 2017 discovered in the bowel screening programme,  has had back pain since about mid March on and off, it would get better then it would come back.  It was thought to be a slipped disc, although the pain was concentrated between his shoulder blades, but it's not uncommon to have disc degeneration in the thoracic area. The GP sent him for blood tests, which came back normal, he sent him for an x-ray, which the radiographer refused to do because she said "an x-ray won't show a slipped disc" . and advised an MRI, which in our trust has to be requested by a consultant, so went back to the GP surgery (didn't see him) reported this and left it for him to decide the next step The pain came and went and seemed to get better with gentle movement - so we had planned a trip on our narrowboat for June and off we went - the trip was a 4 week cruise, but after a week it became evident that the pain was getting worse.  We gave up, moored a fair way from our home marina and came home, the drive home was difficult (4hours due to traffic and distance) and I took him straight to our local A & E, left him there and went to our house to unload the dog and essentials and returned.  We waited 5 hours to be assessed by a dr, (he was assessed quite quickly by the nursing staff) - admitted and found a bed eventually - everyone still thinking it's a slipped disc - then the next day after scans and investigations we had our answer - he has tumours on 3 of his thoracic vertebra and some mets in his lungs.  They quickly organised steroids on radiotherapy - which they did in one big zap.  He is in hospital - on an orthopaedic ward as there are no available oncology beds, he can't weight bear or walk and the orthopaedic staff cannot answer our questions. I have asked today if one of the oncology team could possibly come and see us and hopefully tomorrow that will happen. In himself he is fairly chirpy and I'm just getting on with visiting as before.  Just as an aside the same year he was diagnosed our son, then a very fit and healthy 33yr old  was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer witha BRAF mutation - against ALL the odds he is totally recovered and training for the police force, so we know these things can be overcome.   we are quite positive in our outlook, it's just when you think you're getting there ......and this happens.  I have a wonderful family and lots of friends, but sometimes it's difficult to openly say things, so hence this post.  Our questions are how long, what's the likely spread, what's going to happen - and I know no one knows, but it's good to write it down. Thanks for reading sorry it's so long.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am so sorry to see you having to find us.

Your family truly have had a very hard time but there is a survival streak running in your blood. Diagnosis can indeed be complicated and some times we need to get our feet into the doors of the medical professionals and push the doors.

Its good that you have found this safe place, a place to talk with people who are walking the cancer journey and this can help a lot and will reduce the whirlwind wind that is rushing in your head.

We have lots of support groups that are Cancer specific and also ones that are general Cancer experience groups.

Have a look through the group lists and see where you think you could connect. Join the group(s) by hitting the ‘Join the Group’ tab just under the main group name. At this point go to the right on the group home page and select how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts.

The best way to get support is to go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name. Set up your own Discussion and Introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post.

I would highlight our Carers Forum  and Friends and Family Forum as these are folks walking the support journey together.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’ section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support Groups in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thank you, I will look at the links,