Oesophageal cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 60 subscribers

Hi, I was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer on 17/5/2019, so just over a week ago. I have already had a pet ct, normal ct, endoscopy and endoscopic ultrasound. This is all in just 3 weeks since I went to see my GP. So as you all can probably imagine I am still in a state of shock. I am due to see an oncologist in the next week or so and will then find out when my treatment starts. I have been told I will probably have chemo followed by surgery. I don’t know quite what to think or feel at the moment. I am very grateful that all scans have been done so quickly but the speed of it has been unnerving. I am not sure that this has all sunk in yet, all I know for sure is that I am terrified of the next few months.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am so sorry to see the circumstance that brought you here and so sorry to hear you are starting treatment for oesophageal cancer.

A cancer diagnosis can bring a lot of stress on a family but talking with people who are on the same journey will help a lot.

I see that you have joined our Gullet (oesophagus) cancer Forum, this is the place where you will connect with people who understand the journey your are on. You can ask the folks questions about treatments, what to expect.

The BEST WAY to get support is to go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name. Set up your own Discussion and Introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post.

Have a look through our various Macmillan Support Line Services then call them on 0808 808 00 00 to be very helpful covering Emotional Support and Practical Information. Clinical Information and Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

We also have our Online Information and Support Section where you will find some great pages covering the cancer diagnosis, treatment and information pages covering most types of cancers.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support Groups in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

It is worth putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself.

To do this click on YOUR username, look to the left and select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - REMEMBER hit the big green SAVE before you leave the page. If you're not sure what to write you can take a look at any members profiles by clicking on their username.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Taruth I totally connect to how your feeling at the moment as I was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer myself 2/5/2019 like you I have had all the relative scans and tests within a few weeks of being told and I felt the same  although you want to know, the speed of it all happening so quickly unerverved me. Looking back now that is a good thing as I could progress to the next level which for me was chemo 1st cycle 24/6/2019 with 3 cycles of FLOT to go then the operation. Not going to lie first few days of chemo isn't nice but Saturday feeling a lot better just tucked into my first proper meal jacket potato & cheese which I can't believe as the chemo made me quite poorly. If it means a few days every cycle  feeling poorly will be worth the end result. I know it's hard at the moment but just stay strong and as positive as you can it will get you through. Cheeky Scouser

Cheekyscouser
  • , a welcome to you as well and I also see you have joined our Gullet (oesophagus) cancer Forum, this is the place where you will connect with people who understand the journey your are on. You can ask the folks questions about treatments, what to expect.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Cheeky scouser

Hi Cheeky Scouser,

I decided along with the oncologists that the best path for me was chemo and radiotherapy. I am due to have my second infusion of chemo tomorrow (Monday) and as with you I felt a bit rough for the first couple of days after the first infusion. But it didn't last long.  My main problem now (I am taking tablet form chemo ever day in between) is that I am not sleeping very well which obviously adds to my tiredness.  You are right positive thinking helps so much. Good luck with your treatment  Ruth

• Hi Ruth 

Hope everything went ok yesterday, another box ticked. I know what you mean about the sleeping patterns it's frustrating a friend of mine advised downloading some mindfulness music which at first weRoflaughed as I asked her had she turned all hippyRofl At first I was a bit unsure but WOW what a big help wish I had tried it sooner. 

There is a wide range on the web just give it a try and see what works for you  Sunday in bed early earphones at the ready hubby checked in 1hr later to check on  me fast asleep.

Give it a try what have you got to lose good luck 

Cheeky Scouser 

Cheekyscouser