Help & advice to cope with the struggle of living with a cancer patient

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi, 

I don’t really know where to start... I’m just looking for some help on how to cope with living with a cancer patient. My Dad has pancreatic cancer, which has also spread to his spine, liver & lung. He’s currently in hospital, as the pain from the tumour in his spine has got too much for him to cope with. Im really not coping very well & am having regular prolonged panic attacks... I just wanted to reach out & speak to some like minded people who will understand. 

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am so sorry to see the circumstance that brought you here and so sorry to hear about your dad and how hard it is to deal with what is going on.

This is a hard time for your dad, you and all of the family but talking with people who are on the same journey will help a lot.

I had the cancer so my journey was rather different but is see that you have already joined the Friends and Family Forum this is where you will connect with people who understand the journey your are on. You can ask the folks questions and how to help. But most importantly, how to look after yourself.

Just go over to the group and you can look through all the discussions in the forum by hitting the ‘Discussions’ tab. But the BEST WAY to get support is to go to the 'Start a Discussion' tab just under the main group name. Set up your own Discussion and Introduce yourself to the group - you could just copy an paste what you have in this first post.

We also have a number of general Cancer experience groups and the Carers Forum my be a good place to go.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services on 0808 808 00 00 to be very helpful covering Emotional Support and Practical Information. Clinical Information and Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support Groups in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing.

A warm Highland ((hug)) coming to you x

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Mike, 

Thank you so much for your kind words & advice. It’s reassuring know that there is always help out there if I need it :) 

Warm Regards 

• The Community is a safe place to find help and support.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge