How to help a smoker Mum with cancer... :(

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hello, my Mum has CLL (Leukemia) - furthermore she has tonsil and lymph cancer. She is a smoker. She had surgery 2 weeks ago, and she already smokes 2-3 cigis a day... I am very angry and disappointed. I don't know how to help her. Chemo and radiotherapy stars in 5 weeks. I look for some help and support, advice on how to be a better helper for her. Thanks Maria

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Maria

I am sorry to hear about your mum. I think you’re quite within your rights to feel angry and disappointed - although it won’t do much good. It is something your mum has to want to do. 

There is evidence that smoking during radiotherapy increases side effects and reduces effectiveness 

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/treating/radiotherapy/radiotherapy-explained/how-should-i-prepare-for-radiotherapy.html

There is also help available - you don’t even have to go to the GP these days as many pharmacists are trained in helping people to give up. 

I hope you can persuade her 

good luck

xx

• Hi Maria and a second welcome. I am so sorry to hear the issues you are having and that your mum will be going through treatment for CLL.

I remember my Dermatologist telling me many years ago that if I go out in the sun and get myself burnt he would come round to the house give me a good slap......... he never had to do that..... but it all about getting your mum to understand what is the very best way to help this treatment to work.

Smoking and some of these chemo she will have will put a lot of pressure on her body especially her lungs and kidneys so being as well as possible will help a lot.

To add to Daloni's great support, talking with folks who understand the treatment challenges may help. We do have a CLL Forum - but it is not very active. We also have a General Leukaemia Forum.

Go and join the group(s) and hit the 'Start a Discussion' tab and introduce yourself to the group and see if some one can help you out with any information with regards to treatments.

Remember to go to the right on the group home page and select how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts.

We also have these forums where you can connect with others supporting family and friends through their cancer journey: Carers Forum and Friends and Family Forum

You may also find our various Macmillan Support Line Services on 0808 808 00 00 to be helpful as you can talk to a friendly person that can help in lots of ways.

We also have pour ‘Ask an Expert’ section but please allow a few days to get an reply.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge