Feeling isolated and lonely due to mobility issues.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hello everyone, 

The feelings of loneliness and isolation are making me anxious. Insomnia due to financial struggles makes it worse!  Need to know I'm not alone and I haven't lost my connection to the world. Crying with pain sadness and confusion sometimes.  Is this a normal reaction ? Is it hormones? 

Thanks all, take care.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am so sorry to see the circumstance that brought you here and so sorry to hear that you are having lots of issues.

I am Mike Thehighlander and I help out on the Community and I will do my best to direct you to the best place for you to find the support and the help you need. First sorry for not getting to you but been out in the garden.

On my long journey I found the best way to navigate the various challenges that a cancer diagnosis brings was by talking with people who are on the same journey.

My cancer journey was rather different but if you follow this LINK to our Cerviacal Cancer Forum you will be able to connect with people who understand the medical journey you are on.

Just join the group and hit the 'Start a Discussion' tab and introduce yourself to the group and remember to go to the right on the group home page and select how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts.

We also have various cancer experience forums - just follow this LINK and have a look through them and see if something stands out for you.

You may also find our various Macmillan Support Line Services on 0808 808 00 00 to be helpful as you can talk to a friendly person that can help in lots of ways, especially with helping you ensure that you are getting all the financial help that is in the system.

They may also be able to direct you in local befriending services.

If you are able to get out at any time you could check these links for Local Macmillan Support Groups and Maggie’s Centres

All the best and a ((hug)) 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

No you are not alone and yes this is normal. Cancer throws us all into a tailspin and pain makes things worse. I am really sorry to hear about what you’re going through. 

I think Mike has pointed you in the right direction. But I had one other thought. I know Macmillan in some areas has a home visiting service where volunteers visit those with mobility issues at home. It might be worth a call to the Macmillan helpline to find out if there is such a service in your area. 

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi 

(breast cancer stage 4 hormone pills)

I feel isolated and I am still mobile for now. I find social media and online support groups help. I also suffer from insomnia from this whole experience. I take meds to help with sleeping otherwise I would not be able to function. 

Do you have interests you can do from your couch or bed? I know its not much but I hope it helps to know you are not the only one that feels this way and has the isolated feelings. 

Take care

sending a big gentle hug. 

• FormerMember

Dear Hopell,

Thankyou for taking time to reply. Sorry you are going through similar times. Yes I panic thinking no one is there for me when they actually are. That expression lonely in a crowded room comes to mind.  My friend has offered to bring wool  n knitting pattern round, so that's brilliant. . Counting my blessings at the moment.. Trying to be strong when I feel like  a newborn lamb! Overwhelmed is the word!   

Please Can I add you as a friend on this site?

Big gentle hug back, 

Ankh38 Blush

• FormerMember

Hi Ankh38

Thank you and yes you certainly can add me as a friend on this site. Knitting that's great. I am jealous of those that can knit. I hear it not only is a way to change your focus but it is quite calming. 

Sometimes I just get really frustrated and want the life I had pre-cancer. I know that is not an option and I have gained a few things I guess. You find out who your real friends are for sure. See now I am counting my blessings. I have a roof over my head and I dont sweat the stuff. Only the big stuff. lol. I go for walks in nature when I can and I am lucky to still be able to. I had cancer in my spine and it could have gone the other way. 

Well thank you. Now I feel a bit better too. 

Hope you have a good day and are comfortable. Good Luck with the knitting.

xx