Advice

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 59 subscribers

my father in law has just started Chemo as the first part of his treatment for oesophagus cancer. He had his first chemo last Tuesday and was fine until Saturday when he started to feel extremely drained of energy and aching all over. We are really struggling to get him to eat anything and it’s important to try and keep his weight up as he will be having major surgery in about 10 weeks. Just wanted to ask what other people do to try and maintain their weight whilst having chemo 

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am so sorry to see the circumstance that brought you here and so sorry to hear that your father has been diagnosed with Oesophagus Cancer.

I am Mike Thehighlander and I help out on the Community and I will do my best to direct you to the best place for you to find the support and the help you need. On my long journey I found the best way to navigate the various challenges that a cancer diagnosis brings was by talking with people who are on the same journey.

My cancer journey was rather different but if you follow this LINK to our Oesophagus Cancer Forum you will be able to connect with people who understand the journey you are on.

Just join the group and hit the 'Start a Discussion' tab and introduce yourself to the group and remember to go to the right on the group home page and select how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts.

We also have these forums where you can connect with others supporting family and friends through their cancer journey: Carers Forum and Friends and Family Forum

You may also find our various Macmillan Support Line Services on 0808 808 00 00 to be helpful as you can talk to a friendly person that can help in lots of ways.

We also have pour ‘Ask an Expert’ section but please allow a few days to get an reply.

When you have time it would be helpful if you could put some information about yourself and the journey that brought you to the Community into your profile as it really does help the Community members to help you and get to know you. 

Click on your username and that will take you to your homepage. Look for ‘Edit my Profile’ click on it and start to tell us as much or as little about yourself as you want then click on save before closing the page. 

All the best. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge