Secondary Lung Cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi All

This is my first time on the forum. I got my bowel cancer diagnosis nearly two years ago. I had my operation a year ago and finished chemo about 6 months later. However, my last scan showed the cancer has spread to my lung and I'm about to begin treatment again next week. In a number of ways I'm very lucky, my employers are very supportive, as are my family and friends. The medical staff are also extremely supportive and helpful. The tumour can only be a few months old and is quite small and treatable.

My last treatment was radiotherapy and Capecitabine. This time there's no radio and I'm not sure yet what the drug will be, (not Capecetibine though).

What I'm wondering is what experiences have others had of lung cancer and treatments. How tired or sick did it make you? I know enough to know everyone reacts differently, but I'm still curious. Apparently, the drugs are to be administered through a PICC line via a pressure bottle that I'll have for a couple days. I'm sure it will be quite manageable but any tips would be very welcome.

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community, although I am so sorry to see the circumstance that brought you here and so sorry to hear that you have now been diagnosed with Secondary Lung Cancer

I am Mike Thehighlander and I help out on the Community and I will do my best to direct you to the best place for you to find the support and help you need.

On my long journey I found the best way to navigate the various challenges that a cancer diagnosis brings was by talking with people who are on the same journey.

My cancer journey was rather different but if you follow this LINK to our Secondary Lung Cancer Forum you will be able to connect with people who understand the journey you are on.

Just join the group and hit the 'Start a Discussion' tab and introduce yourself to the group and remember to go to the right on the group home page and select how you want to receive email notifications when someone answers your posts.

You may also find our various Macmillan Support Line Services on 0808 808 00 00 to be helpful as you can talk to a friendly person that can help in lots of ways.

I see you have put something in your profile and I did notice that you are a Whisky lover - coming from the Highlands I actually think at times we should just connect up a good Single Malt and put it on IV - you never know.

Rugby and woodworking - what is not to like in your profile...... cancer Disappointed

All the best. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi and welcome to the community, although sorry to hear of your new problems. Could I suggest you post your questions in the Lung Group . There you will find others with experience of treatment and should be able to help.

As regards the PICC line. I had one in for several months. No real problems with it. Painless going in and coming out. Needs to be flushed out once  a week which is more of an inconvenience than anything else. I also had a chemo pump. Bit awkward at first but you get used to it. I don't know what drugs you will be given, but with a pump, it is infused very slowly over a long period of time and so side effects are usually limited. The PICC line also comes in handy for blood tests. Does away with repeat needles. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?