Is it possible?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 58 subscribers

Hi all,

I underwent surgery in 2011 to remove a large basal cell carcinoma in my groin. I never had any scans to see if this had spread, and was formally discharged from after care 12 months later. 

Earlier this year, I returned to my GP regarding a swollen lymph node in my groin which had been troubling me for some time, and following biopsy, have been advised this is a secondary squamous cell carcinoma. I’m am currently undergoing tests to determine the primary.

Following my previous surgery, it was identified that my earlier tumour consisted of a small percentage squamous. Ever the optimist, do you think it is possible that this secondary could have been undetected from the initial tumour? My consultant hasn’t ruled this out yet, but I think I am clutching at straws.

Does anybody know of any similar scenarios?

Thanks in advance!

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that after having a BCC removed 8 years ago a secondary SCC has been identified in your groin.

Could I suggest that you join us over in the skin cancer group and post your question there.To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then respond to existing posts by clicking on 'reply' and start your own by selecting 'start a discussion'. 

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile, as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I'll hopefully see you over in the skin cancer group and we'll see if anybody can help with your question.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"