New to the Community

If you've just joined the Community and aren't sure where to start, this is the group for you. Tell us what brings you here, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Someone will be on hand to welcome you and point you in the right direction.

Avoiding Dumping

BrentS
Posted by

I’m fine really  I am a survivor coming up to the five year anniversary of my Ivor Lewis. 

Five years ago I was fearful that I would not be able to enjoy my son’s wedding in June 2014. 

But here I am five years later celebrating my other son’s wedding in Australia  

I lead a very normal, comfortable life but I still get surprised by the odd case of dumping. This evening for instance, after a beautiful drive along the Great Ocean Road we had a meal in a Vietnamese restaurant. I had a beer before enjoying a couple of spring rolls followed by a ‘pho’.  Now for those of you who don’t know, a pho is a dish of nooodles in a thin soup or broth  

Now I know not to drink during or after a meal but for some reason that didn’t stop me fro forking the noodles down followed by the soup. To say I felt bad is a bit of an understatement. 15 minutes after finishing the meal I felt rotten and rather unusually had stomach ache too. My old nemesis Dumping had struck once more!

Half an hour later, back in my hotel room, it was all a nasty memory. Ready for coffee and desert (in that order). But surprise, surprise I got the shakes and realised I was getting Late Dumping too. Coffee and desert sorted that out and15 minutes later I’m writing this to say that I can usually avoid dumping by eating and drinking the right things in the right order and correctly spaced. But sometimes, even after 5 years, I get it wrong and suffer the consequences. 

So I will continue to enjoy food and drink - but not in that order and thus avoid Dumping. 

Counting the days, making every day count.

Brent

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi

Great to hear such a positive story. However, I suspect you meant to post it in the oesophagus cancer group not in new to the site.

Perhaps too much vino at your son's wedding or the fact that you're having to post upside down while you're in Australia, lol.

xx

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

BrentS
Posted by

Oops 

dont know how that happened. I shall repost it

thanks

Counting the days, making every day count.

Brent