Stage 4 serous ovarian cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 57 subscribers

My mum 86 was diagnosed with stage 4 serous cancer last November. She had a laparotomy to try and remove tutors but it had spread too much for the planned hysterectomy to go ahead so she has been having chemotherapy since. She has reacted really badly and differently after each treatment, she's had 4 treatments, and is now experiencing chronic tummy pains as she has a sleepy bowel and is taking laxatives for constipation. She's taking buscopan and paracetamol but they have a limited affect on the pain. I've been looking after her more or less full time since her diagnosis with carers coming in 3 times a day  and my sister helping when she can and I am finding it really hard to cope. It's so hard to see her suffering so much. I wondered if anyone had any ideas that might help her tummy? 

• Hi  and welcome to the Macmillan Online Community although sorry that you needed to find us and especially sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis and ongoing challenges.

A cancer diagnosis in the family brings many questions, confusion and lots of stress but talking with other people who are walking the same type of journey will help you navigate this rollercoaster.

The Community is organised into dedicated support groups so can I recommend you join our supportive Ovarian cancer group, this will be a good place to connect with others navigating the support of a family member on the same type of cancer journey.

To join a group just click on the link above then choose 'click to join' or 'join' (depending on the device you're using) on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself by putting up a ‘New Thread’ or hit the box with the X on the top right (phones), you could just copy and paste the text from this your first post. You can also join in with existing ‘Discussions’ by clicking on 'reply'. 

Talking with others caring for family and friends will help a lot so do check out our Family and friends and Carers only groups as you will connect with others walking the same journey supporting family and friends through their cancer journey.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

All the very best

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thanks so much Mike thats really helpful