Life after cancer

This group is for cancer survivors and people who have finished treatment. It is a space to discuss things like the physical and emotional after effects of cancer, returning to work, or trying to move on with your life.

Travel Insurance

johnr
Posted by

My experience has been that premiums vary a lot, so how they rate the risk, I will never understand as when I have declared my illness and the effects chemo has left its always the same questions, so they all use a similar screening process.

Twice I have discussed premiums and once I was told the increase from £28 for a holiday in the March to £98 for a similar holiday in the July was because the company had reappraised its rates, in other words they had had more claims so needed to recoup the costs.

The second discussion was how information was handled when declaring conditions and it came down to how many things you declare as they have various thresholds and once you move from one band into the next irrespective of the conditions it triggered a higher payment.

The whole system has been proven to not be able to rate the risks of the many forms of cancer by several of the charities, so its pot luck and deep pockets on some occasions.

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
Tull77
Posted by
Thanks john. I guess it's a question of shopping around. My parents live in Orlando so that might be a costly trip. It's weird but I've never been ill throughout treatment and yet they fail to underwrite the risks correctly
johnr
Posted by

Hi again,  we go to america most years and have found sometimes an annual policy was cheaper so don't rule that out, you can also get the option of not being insured for bowel cancer (in your case) my concern with that would be if you needed to claim would they say you illness was liked to the cancer or treatment. So I have never taken the risks but I know others have. As an example for joint cover I have paid between £120 and £180 per year and £90 for a single 12 day trip for joint cover and that includes a number of other problems I have to declare due to the chemo.

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
alvinjohn
Posted by

Hi Julie_S.

I can see your question is Aug 2013 but still wanna help.

All I can say is to write Toni from cheapbizclass. He is a guy with lots of knowledge in the niche.

https://www.cheapbizclass.com/about-us/

I met him when I was in a need for cheap business class tickets to Europe and years later he is still helping me with all my travel and insurance issues.

Wish you all the best!

Alvin