Life after cancer

This group is for cancer survivors and people who have finished treatment. It is a space to discuss things like the physical and emotional after effects of cancer, returning to work, or trying to move on with your life.

Relationship falling apart

Sdjmlk
Posted by

My husband has been my rock until I started radiotherapy in May

he says he feels empty, he doesn’t fell the same way about me anymore and he just wants to hide away and be on his own. He says that maybe he’s not in love with me anymore but won’t seek any help or talk to anyone about how he feels. He’s changed the way he kisses me, communicates with me and is very angry and snappy al the time, even with the children. I understand he’s been through a lot looking after me and the kids but I don’t know how to help him. I’m starting to feel I’d be better off alone and I don’t know what to do.

buttercup01
Posted by

Hi sdjmilk,

So sorry to hear about your husband's changed feelings. Could it be he's angry with the cancer, or as u say simply that he's been thru a lot?

Cancer changes everything n makes u reassess life, both those personally affected n those close to them.

Would he consider going to counselling with u?

U say he won't talk to anyone about it, but maybe if u were both going?? If not, could u go by yourself? - check under "In your area"on the home page,  u may have a Maggie's centre nearby. Also. the helpline on 0808 808 0000 8am to 8pm can advise u.

Good luck. xx

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
Galanthophile
Posted by

It’s hard for family members never mind the person going through the treatment. Your husband needs to talk. Maggie’s are there for everyone affected by cancer. MacMillan helpline is worth a try. It’s such a difficult one but I hope he realises he needs to reach out and that is ok

good luck x