Life after cancer

This group is for cancer survivors and people who have finished treatment. It is a space to discuss things like the physical and emotional after effects of cancer, returning to work, or trying to move on with your life.

Anyone taking tamoxifen and feeling really low

welshlady07
Posted by

I had idc grade 2 stage 3  2 years ago  had lumpectomy with lymph node biopsy and then had to go back in for node clearance as there was cancer in the nodes, I then went on to have 15 treatments of radiotherapy and have to take tamoxifen for 5-10 years. I have side effects hot flushes, night sweats pain in my joints dryness and now have a thickened womb lining and clusters of fibroids which can be painfull but the last month I have been really down and crying for no apparent reason is anyone else like this 

ronstar
Posted by

Hi

Ah the joys of Tamoxifen! I had a quick look at the side effects of Tamoxifen and depression, weepiness is not listed (thats not to say it isn't the Tamoxifen) but anaemia is. I quite often suffer from anaemia and I do find I get weepy and down with it - just a thought.

Of course, it could be a very normal reaction to what you've been through - it doesn't always hit us immediately and I know lots of people on this community have found they wanted counselling a few years after treatment.

Maybe a GP appointment to check for underlying causes such as anaemia - and have a chat about dealing with the feeling down? I also have fibroids encouraged by Tamoxifen and it's not easy dealing with them - it does play on my mind quite a bit - could it be linked to that, maybe?

Take care

R