Life after cancer

This group is for cancer survivors and people who have finished treatment. It is a space to discuss things like the physical and emotional after effects of cancer, returning to work, or trying to move on with your life.

Feeling anxious

Bud 18
Posted by

Hi

I had Apr surgery for rectul cancer in Aug 18.

Just recently I have felt scared if cancer returns my histology report was stage 2 no mo and they got very good margins. 

I keep researching foods that are good for people who have had cancer and feel confused so many bad foods. 

I also keep thinking how would I know cancer has come back. 

Is this normal feeling like this. 

Any advice greatly received 

Xxxx

Xxxxx
Bud 18
rily
Posted by

Hi . The way you feel is quite normal and many of us will understand. The fear of a recurrence will always be with us. It gets easier as time goes by and we learn to manage the feelings. Not familiar with your particular cancer, but in most cases we are monitored regularly which is reassuring. As regards diet, there are many myths about superfoods out there, so do not believe everything you read. I see you have posted in the Ask a Dietician section, so you will get expert advice there. There is a paper we often refer people to After Treatment Finishes-Then What ? It is a bit of a long read but well worth it. You will recognise many of the things you are thinking. I hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.  What is a Community Champion ?

annus horriblis
Posted by

I have been in remission for over 10 years now but am currently struggling with depression/anxiety whilst trying to keep a call centre job down after leaving my previous post after 29 years as my employer would not medically retire me.  I have waited ages for counselling and have this next week, thank goodness.  The call centre environment is not helping and I am worried beyond belief that I am going to be dismissed through not saving as many customers.  I have been open and honest with my immediate manager and have taken to closing off emails as some of the informationals being sent out send me into free-fall.  Any advice and guidance would be most gratefully received.

Ginajsy
Posted by

Hi AH

I am popping over to say hello and see if I can offer any ideas into the pan for you.

I am reasonably early on in the journey compared to you. I have seen people say though that it is very common for a person to loose confidence in themselves after diagnosis. The body you have lived with and trusted let you down and now you doubt it? Is that the case? They also liken after affects to PTSD too.

I am guessing after 10 years that maybe you have been completely signed off from the medical team for tests and checks? Could this be why you are now feeling depressed and anxious also? That you feel that the people that were guiding you have now been removed and the security that they brought to you?

I am pleased that you will be getting counselling, I am sorry to hear that it has taken a very long time to come. In the mean time there is also the support line here open 8am - 8pm daily on 0808 808 00 00.

With regard to your job, you should be protected under the disability discrimination act as you are a cancer patient and they have to make reasonable adjustments in order for you to be able to continue in your work?

Just wondering if this role is very different to your previous role? We spend a lot of time at work and not being happy in general there is not good or beneficial for us. Have you considered if it is the actual role that you do not enjoy or if you are not enjoying it because of the anxiety and depression? 

I appreciate you may need to work due to finances or due to wanting a distraction/social aspect. However if it is the actual role that is adding to you being unhappy would it be worth seeking employment elsewhere?

I am glad you have managed to open and honest with your manager. Were they supportive and understanding?

Calling the helpline here may also be of assistance to you from a financial aspect as they will be best placed to advise you on any benefits you may be entitled to and how to access them. This could help ease an intense situation for you possibly?

I hope this is of some help to you. 

Gina

There are no perfect people, only perfect intentions

♬I should've been more than this, I was gonna be something big, But I never did anything at all ♬ Dan Owen - Icarus
annus horriblis
Posted by

Ginajsy,

This has helped immensely with all the points you raised up for discussion with my Mental Health Nurse yesterday.

My Counselling commences in 4 weeks and I am so looking forward to it and can actually see light at the end of the tunnel for a change.

I am so grateful to you for the reassurance regarding my current position and hopefully can put this worry to rest now.  The role is very much different from my previous role and to be honest I only took this forward to help get me up in the morning and into some sort of positive regime.

My Manager appeared to be receptive privately, but sent me into free-fall last week with general comments to the Team, that in my current state, I took very personally and had one of the worst anxiety attacks I have had for a while.  I therefore spoke with one of the Senior Managers' who was very receptive and I will be touching base with my own Manager next week, at the very least, to let him know what happened to me after his very insensitive general communication style of the last few weeks.

I will also very much consult the helpline regarding anything that can ease my predicament.

Thank you so very much indeed

AH

XRaven1980X
Posted by

I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the end of 2017. It DCIS stage 2 and the only reason I caught it was because I had been vigilant about checking myself. My grandmother had breast cancer in the 60s and died of a recurrence back in 2000. She always made me aware of the signs and symptoms of this particularly insidious version of the disease. 

I think it is normal to get days of angst. I find it makes me feel like I am living with a sharp knief, dangling over my head on a strand of hair. I wish I could steal a body scanner from the hospital and stick it in my bedroom. Every twitch, every ache, every pain puts me on edge..and I work full time in a kitchen so I get a lot of this.

The one positive thing I can take out of all of this is that it makes you appreciate every. Single. Day. Things that may have bothered you before cancer,  won't seem that big now compared to the battle you just went through..

It gives you a whole new view on things...and I found it has made me a lot more emphatic towards others. The only thing you can do is keep yourself in check. Eat the right foods in balance and try to maintain a healthy lifestyle with weight training and excercise. 

Joining a local group in your area that meets up for coffee will be of benefit as you won't feel like your the only one getting all the achy long term symptoms ( depending on what chemo drugs you had) 

There is a recipe book for cancer fighting foods that was published for Macmillan. However, have a look on Amazon and check rating and reviews. A modern variation of the " cave man" diet is a good start as it advices against eating too much processed foods and foods with too much e numbers and other nasties. Don't cut out all fats. Your body still needs fat to cover your organs under your skin and for energy..It's just looking for the right and best versions of everything. Trust me..I'm a chef ;)

XRaven1980X
Posted by

I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the end of 2017. It DCIS stage 2 and the only reason I caught it was because I had been vigilant about checking myself. My grandmother had breast cancer in the 60s and died of a recurrence back in 2000. She always made me aware of the signs and symptoms of this particularly insidious version of the disease. 

I think it is normal to get days of angst. I find it makes me feel like I am living with a sharp knief, dangling over my head on a strand of hair. I wish I could steal a body scanner from the hospital and stick it in my bedroom. Every twitch, every ache, every pain puts me on edge..and I work full time in a kitchen so I get a lot of this.

The one positive thing I can take out of all of this is that it makes you appreciate every. Single. Day. Things that may have bothered you before cancer,  won't seem that big now compared to the battle you just went through..

It gives you a whole new view on things...and I found it has made me a lot more emphatic towards others. The only thing you can do is keep yourself in check. Eat the right foods in balance and try to maintain a healthy lifestyle with weight training and excercise. 

Joining a local group in your area that meets up for coffee will be of benefit as you won't feel like your the only one getting all the achy long term symptoms ( depending on what chemo drugs you had) 

There is a recipe book for cancer fighting foods that was published for Macmillan. However, have a look on Amazon and check rating and reviews. A modern variation of the " cave man" diet is a good start as it advices against eating too much processed foods and foods with too much e numbers and other nasties. Don't cut out all fats. Your body still needs fat to cover your organs under your skin and for energy..It's just looking for the right and best versions of everything. Trust me..I'm a chef ;)

Gusidog
Posted by

Such an interesting post, thank you. I was also diagnosed with BC end of 2017 and feel same but you've reminded me to appreciate every single day