Life after cancer

This group is for cancer survivors and people who have finished treatment. It is a space to discuss things like the physical and emotional after effects of cancer, returning to work, or trying to move on with your life.

It is possible to be never get cancer again?

Jmas
Posted by

Hi, I’ve recently finished all treatment! And I’ve been feeling physically and mentally fine, but there is a niggle I’ve had... Is it possible to never have a reoccurrence? Or is it something that’s really quite likely? I’m in my 30’s so figure that if I have the potential to live to the average age of mid 70’s, then it’s unlikely I’ll not get a reoccurrence as there’s so many years between now and my 70’s! 

Sorry for the daft question. I wish we could have insight into our futures... 

Thehighlander
Posted by

Hi , a very good question and one that, as you know there is no right or wrong answer for.

The best way to look at this is that you have come through this alive - good start. Now you need to move foward with life.

Will, could it come back again, could another type of cancer come along?....... you have no idea? But what you have been given us a new start so take the new start in both hands and pull yourself foward.

I was just saying to someone else that the post treatment journey is like driving a car. The future is wide and open and you can see it through a big windscreen - the past you can only see in little mirrors and the more you go foward the smaller the past will get.

Over my 19 years treatment for a rare type of Lymphona the main thing that was at the forefront of my mind was "I am alive and each new day is a gift for me to live and enjoy" I have been told that due to some of the treatments I have had I am wide open to skin cancer.......but this is not the first, second or even the third thing I think about when I wake up in the morning.......I only am only reminded about this when I am talking with folks on the Community.

Take care and move on and enjoy this life that is before you to live.

Mike - Thehighlander

Some journeys take us far from home but some adventures lead us to our destiny CS Lewis

SCT NHL TCell

Jmas
Posted by

19 years, wow. Inspiration! 

Thank you for your positivity. I know we’ll never know but I’m having a massive wobble! I like the car windscreen analogy. Just need to distract myself, and like you, just get on with life!  

Denisa
Posted by

Hello:)i was asking the question too.Had tripple negative breast cancer, had chemo,lump and radio.I thought was neverending but was last year this time exaxtly 6.12. had my last radio.I am now pregnant with my firts baby and conceived naturally in age 41.And.feeling quite well except little troubles with bad colds and mood swings.

I am living my life normal I know for many people its very difficicult.Unfortunately the statistics doesnt go far they just counting the people with reoccurence or survival rates doesnt go behind 10 years.

I have asked my nurse once why  we dont hear about people  with positive outcomes, she said because the people with good outcomes are too busy to carry on living their lives.And thats what I do.Nobody will be here forever thats my Motto and nobody can tell you if you cross the road and you will be hit by something tomorrow.

Anyway I am enjoying now every minute of my life, although beeing sicky from the pregnancy this time but I am happy I am here today.Not the cancer changed my life I am still the same person but this pregnancy means the world for me.

Wish you all the best

Denisa

Thehighlander
Posted by

Hi again , yes 20 years at the start of next year but it amazing how you will be able to get a handle on moving forward. 

Have a look at this very good paper - just hit the link 

www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/.../After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

Have a great Christmas.

Mike - Thehighlander

Some journeys take us far from home but some adventures lead us to our destiny CS Lewis

SCT NHL TCell