Newbie in Pain

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 3 subscribers

So my fantastic swollen arm & hand only really appeared to this affect about 2 weeks ago. Scanned in case it was a DVT or a cellulitic infection but thankfully not.

Struggling with the pain & lack of mobility - not used 2 this despite being 4 years post cancer diagnosis.

Just seen lymph nurse 4 1st time 2day & bn fitted with a sleeve & glove. Initially it felt lovely but my fingertips r sore (glove isn't cutting anything off!) & back is more painful than useful. Bn told 2 do some exercises z& breathing things. Letting me off with the feathering massage bit as I hate being touched.

Anymore suggestions 4 this newbie? Not expecting miracles. 

Ta

WB x

• Hi there. Macmillan have a good booklet all about lymph which you can download. Its a practical guide. I myself suffer but its my legs that I get lymph. Not very often as I now know how to spot it starting in my legs. Its over ten years since my op. It took time with the those tights they measure you for. The trick is to catch it before it swells like yours has. Think what have you been doing with your arms say two weeks ago? Have you got a cold, been bit by a fly, or any other infection or been carrying something like shopping. I f this is the first time you you have suffered from it I was asked this question and I am now aware what triggers it of. Hate my tights but I love those stretch jeans sadly you cannot wear those on your arms!  Go on the breast cancer page you would get a lot more advice I would think from them. The only other thing I can say is to put talcum on you arm before putting the garment on then give your arm a good wash after you take it off and cream your arm after. Look after your skin. Wish I could be more help. Anyway do come back and let us know how you get on and it would be nice for others who contact this forum to here your journey. Take care