Welcome to our new group for people living with incurable cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hi everyone,

We've set up this group as a place where anyone whose cancer is incurable can talk openly and honestly about their feelings and experiences and get support.

Some members with incurable cancer have told us that they don't always feel comfortable discussing their situation in their cancer type group, for fear of upsetting others. We hope that this group will be a safe space for you to post.

You may want to use it to talk about issues such as your emotions and fears about dying or your decisions about end of life treatment. However, this can also be a place where you talk about how to get on with your life in spite of your incurable diagnosis.

You may also find it helpful to have a look at the sections on our website about living with advanced cancer or end of life.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks for starting this group, when you said -

"Some members with incurable cancer have told us that they don't always feel comfortable discussing their situation in their cancer type group, for fear of upsetting others."

that is so true, because you feel you want to give people hope, but then saying "Hey, it didn't work for me" kind of defeats the object.

Hopefully more people will feel able to post.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks Lesley, it's good to hear that the group meets some of your needs. Thanks for being brave enough to post first - I hope this will encourage others to feel that they can join in if they wish.

• FormerMember

I have just joined the community so i am very new to this but I agree that this discussion area is a great idea in that it will not upset others who might not want to hear subjects that might not seem appropriate.

• FormerMember

Hi

welcome! I do hope you’ll find this community a safe place where you can be open and get support from others. Do feel free to join in or just to read if that suits you better. I remember it took me a while to join in. Partly that was because I was so overwhelmed by being told I was “incurable” that I didn’t know where to start. 

All the best