Introducing myself

• 14 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hi everyone, just introducing myself after lurking for a while.

My name's Stuart, I'm 52 years old and I live near St. Helens in Merseyside. Recently diagnosed with transitional cell carcinoma in my left kidney with lesions on both lungs, so uncurable. Unfortunately TCC is a rare type of kidney cancer, so there are few treatment options available. I'm waiting for pre-assessment to begin an 18-week palliative chemotherapy program (6 cycles of 3 weeks each), which has a 50% chance of reducing my tumours. My curent prognosis is 18-24 months.

Anyway, I'll probably mostly lurk but I'll chip in if I have anything useful to say.

Much love and best wishes all. 

Stuart, 

• Hi Galilee

Sorry you have had to join this group but you are most welcome.

Every one will help you if they can if you have any questions. Every one is lovely and we all understand what you are going threw

There are a lot here that are past their sell by date, i never asked for a prognosis, as that time frame would have been engraved in my mind.

Every one is different and it is a personnel choice.  I take each day as it comes.

Hope others pop in to welcome you, we do have others here that have kidney c and give you some input.

I did not want you to think  that there was know one here. A lot like lurking be it old members or new one's please use the group when ever you need to, or come in on any discussions .

Take Care Ellie xx

• Thanks Ellie. 

I'm a project manager, so I had to know my target date :) 

• Now that made me laugh

• Hello Stuart (Galilee),

It's regularly said (as in Groucho Marx) - this isnot a place one's pleased to have to join, but there is a weird camaraderie.   We're each struggling with an unfortunate fact, but there is a large range of states of minds/bodies.  Although my cancer (inoperable oesophagus) seems to be a bit of a quick one, from the survival stats, I simply don't feel ill yet and so my head is a bit messed up that it's really happening. 

I hope that you will find it useful to write and read here.    Good luck.

Fortie
  • Thanks Fortiemac. It is strange when you don't really feel that ill. I feel very calm at the moment and I wonder if that will last. I hope so, I want to be strong so that I can help my family through it emotionally. 

• Hi there and a warm welcome to the group everyone will support you on here whatever you want to talk about good or bad 

Flippen
  • Hi Stuart 

Welcome to the group that no one wants to be a member of, I wish I'd met you elsewhere though.  You don't have to stay a lurker, of course it's your right but you have made the breakthrough now, it's just as easy to continue. You don't need to put the world to rights just add a little friendly supportive word to others.

I'm afraid I don't know that much about your cancer but as you say it's a rare one, in truth I don't know that much about other cancers apart from my own. I hope there is a lot of work being carried out on yours though to give you hope. Having a prognosis of 18-24 months is quite good because as many will tell you here, they are well past what we call our sell by date, some by many years. So 18-24 months is a good starter. 

I hope you can find the strength to help your family whilst we can help to give you strength and comfort.

I hope I'll be seeing your name around for a long time, that'll keep both of us happy Stuart.

Take care and stay safe.

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • Hi Stuart,

It's good to see that you made it to this group.  Welcome.

Gragon

• Thanks for the introduction. Feel free to share your experience and how you're feeeling. We're not alone

Kdon24