Tiny niggles all add up

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 23 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hello my friends, 

I have been absent from the community for a few days beset by a series of small niggles that have all added up to the point where I’ve felt overwhelmed. Each of them is minor but put them together and it’s all been a bit too much. 

For a start, there are the mouth ulcers that are making eating painful. I have followed the advice various people gave me and I am managing them better but they won’t heal. The largest, on my tongue, is the size of a penny. 

Then there are the skin splits on my thumbs and forefinger. The finger split in particular has made typing on my iPhone painful. My phone won’t recognise my finger print so  I am repeatedly typing my PIN.  They won’t heal although at least they have stopped weeping now (I’m on blood thinners so I struggled to make a decent scab). Now I’m developing an ulcerated area on my coccyx. 

I already have lymphoedema in my legs and last week this suddenly worsened, despite my wearing the ghastly stockings in the heat. I put on 4lb in weight over 24 hours as the fluid accumulated and now I can no longer kneel comfortably. 

Then there’s the pain and fatigue. It’s now five weeks since they zapped my spinal tumour and I had rather hoped to be seeing the benefits. Unfortunately both are getting worse. My bladder control - the trigger symptom that kick started last month’s saga - is not improving either and don’t get me started on the insomnia. 

I have taken advice about each of these discomforts. My CNS says lots of “her ladies” have also had their lymphoedema worsen. My GP wants to do a thorough work up to check for vitamin deficiencies. 

As is often the way, coping is about getting my head on the right way round, practising gratitude and hoiking my big girl pants up good and proper. Operation sew some Velcro into my armpits has commenced 

Xx

• Hi , I’m sorry to hear about your niggles, and that they’ve made you stay away from your friends here. I hope by posting you mean head is now on the right way round and gratitude diary is filling up each day. I am not completely on your wave length though as operation Velcro went entirely over my head ! 

Take care

Take care KT

• , oh Daloni, i would not call them small niggles...it sounds painful and annoying.I wish a had a magic trick to help you!!

But all i can do is send you a hug and hope for the better.

Pet

• Poor you You just seem to be getting over one thing and then something else comes to test your patience! One or two small niggles would be bad enough but these sound to me as if they add up to a mountain! Ulcers are painful enough anywhere but in your mouth and on your tongue I think are just horrible! I'm sure we all wish we could help in some way but as said, virtual hugs are sent your way in abundance! 

come on, of course you get it, just think for a minute! Lol!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

That all sounds like complete misery to me Daloni.

I too have been quiet as I am currently on a 6 month chemo regime which has been dragging me down.  I don’t have any major side effects but lots of little ones so I have a fair idea how you must be feeling but by the sounds of things to a much lesser extent.

It’s the thing that has bothered and worried me since my diagnosis, the pain and suffering we have to endure.  But talk to professionals or read about the problems we encounter and it all points to having remedies for everything and pain relief.  Sorry to be so negative but I just don’t feel that is true. Listening to my fellows on here there is plenty of suffering going on which seems to go unsuccessfully treated.

I will get the results of my half way Chemo scan on Wednesday.  My gut feeling isn’t good.  My body always tells me what I need to know and I have never been wrong yet but I hope I am and maybe this time the chemo is working.

On a happy note, it was our 20th wedding anniversary yesterday.  Spent in the garden on a wonderful warm sunny day.  Steaks on the BBQ and champagne.  My son who is 19 and still at home wrote us a lovely poem.  There was a stream of deliveries from bouquets of flowers to deli food, chocolates and Prosecco and cards.  Later we listened to some old records and had a dance.  It was the best day.  Just what we all needed.

I am thinking about you Daloni and wishing things improve for you and indeed any of you who are suffering.

• Good Morning and ,

I'm sorry that you are both having problems at the moment.  Isn't it strange how sometimes it is the smallest things that cause the most pan.  I hate mouth ulcers and if I get a cut on my finger you can guarantee I knock it at lest every half hour.  I've never had chemo but I have suffered fatigue and know how debilitating that can be.  When you add everything up it is draining.

I don't know if putting Velcro in your armpits will help Daloni as a self inflicted "wedgie" probably wont assist much, especially with the lymphoedema.

I often think back to my surgery and how tired I was after my operation.  Externally I looked fine and I generally felt pretty good as well but my body needed the time and rest to repair the injuries caused.  I know that mouth ulcers tend to arrive when we are run down and certainly I don't heal as quickly as I used to.  All I can suggest is to be kind to yourself, get as much rest as you can even if you are not sleeping.  Are you still listening to your audio books Daloni?  A few hours on a sofa would not go amiss, especially as you are joining in the night time conversations again.

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary sheensb.  It sounds like as lovely a day as you could have had under the circumstances.  My family were using our bodies to spell out letters last week so that my brother in law could give my wife's sister a special card for her birthday with the message spelt out by all her friends and relatives.   I stood upright in front of an old sheet and put my head through a split so it could not be seen, my wife stood on a stool behind me and put her head through another split about a foot above my body so her head was all you could see and we were a lower case i, my son was a Y, my mother in law an R (with Zimmer frame and then my wife son and I were all X's to make kisses at the end of the message.  I do think that people are being extra nice to each other during lock down in trying to show how special others are to them.

sending love to both of you,

Gragon xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Thank you Gragon.

What a wonderful and imaginative thing to do and lots of fun.  You made me laugh just imagining you all doing your letters.  Would love to see the finished article.

Have a lovely day 

• Gosh that all sounds grim. I have never had a mouth ulcer that big. Listening or anaesthetic mouthwash might help.

it makes my problems seem small as I have been tired sleeping a lot and finding it difficult to  have the energy to anything, I am going to try to go out for a drive and a walk with husband and dog to see if that can refresh me. Though I will wait until tomorrow and hope there are less people about.

we have to just keep going somehow.

it is the anniversary  of my mother’s death and I can’t stop thinking about her. Also I heard yesterday that a young women from my cancer group who had the same disease as me died , I met her several times and  we even stayed in her home once when I had an appointment at the Christie, she was only in her 30s so I am lucky to have lived so long.

love xxx

Ruth 

• Dear Daloni

Sounds like a blooming nightmare. Sometimes it seems to be small things that tip us over the edge, and you have a fair few of those. Are you able to sit out and try and relax? I know you have lots of coping strategies, but perhaps you need to let yourself feel rubbish for a little while before you regroup?

Wish I could do something to help. I always wish that we all were well.

Take care xxSunflower

Flowerlady x
  • Hi Daloni,

I have thought of you the last few days and wondered how you were getting on. You sound as if you are really suffering and with the heat as well which probably does not help it is not good.

Unfortunately I cannot advise much but I did have mouth ulcers  when having chemo and I know how painful they can be. I was given a prescription by the Oncologist for some very strong mouthwash which is only available with prescription.The other thing I can recommend is a gel which is French and it is very good, & not like the ones you get over here. It is called Pansoral & you can purchase it online . It is quite expensive but I thought that it was worth it.

Hopefully  things will improve shortly for you.

It is very likely that I will be having chemo carbo/taxol the same as the first time around. I just want to get on with it now after getting the result of the biopsy,which has this time shown a definite recurrence of the fallopian tube cancer.

Take care, Love & hugs, Georgette xxx

• Hi

Firstly, you were missed and now I understand why. It was my good friend Annette, , who confirmed it for me. 

Secondly, I didn't realise how much I can wince. I winced at the thought of an ulcer on your tongue as big as a penny. As I resd on I doubly winced then I trebly winced and so on until my teeth were grinding.

My sympathies to you (I haven't "liked" your post for obvious reasons), if 'ordinary' people could read that theyd soon get enlightened to the trials and tribulations of cancer treatment. You have suffered off and on for a few years and you STILL offer advice and help to others. I may have said this before and if so I'll say it again anyway, I doff my cap to you.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.