Gardens, plants etc 2020

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 263 replies
  • 58 subscribers

2nd January. I was trying to keep my spirits up this morning by assessing what is looking good in my garden. I have variegated golden and green shrubs which always look sunny even when its dull. Some red cornus stems though they need some light to bring out the colour.

Several plants are still holding their coloured autumn leaves. A container has two very lush clumps of diascia foliage. Cant believe it has survived the frosts. 

Primroses are in flower in a few places and the winter heathers are beginning to colour up. Outside my front door is a variegated holly with lots of berries, surprised the birds haven't taken those.

But no blue sky - there was a glimpse earlier but it's gone now. I have two nice winter gardens near me at Mottisfont and Hilliers Arboretum which have influenced my choice of plants over the years. Used to be favourite visits to cheer me up this time of year but both seem too daunting to attempt now.

Tessa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Tessa

And it sounds as though you chose your plants wisely, at least as far as year round interest is concerned. 

What are the highlights in my garden? Hmmm. Well, the dogwoods are lovely as is the huge camelia with its glossy green leaves. The magnolia stellata continues to delight, this season for its shape. It’s such a giving plant. I have a winter flowering honeysuckle that’s in leaf still. I shall inspect it for flowers tomorrow. Beyond that, it’s the sense of promise that I like. The hellebores are pushing out buds and the various bulbs pushing up green shoots. 

This is drawing from my mind’s eye at 3.30am. Tomorrow I’m going to have a proper look. Thank you for prompting me to do so, Tessa

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Oh yes, forgot the hellebores. There are some fat buds, but I have to get down to the end of the garden to see them. Today I noticed the leaves of miniature daffodils pushing up. 

Tessa

• Hello Tessa

Is there anything more comforting in the middle of winter than seeing bulbs begin to appear? I have a hellebore that seemed to have died, then last year it reappeared. 

Xx

Flowerlady x
  • Amazon shop has been done!

New seed soil, seed pots, propagators, and vermiculite bought and either already arrived or in the post! I should really look at my seeds and write out a planting schedule again like I did last year for my veggies!

However, out the front, I don't know wtf my plants are thinking!!! Most of my tulips are popping up already, and I've got a good 2 inches of growth above the soil. Then, my three pots of sweet peas have decided now is the perfect time to grow too. Lots of things are starting to bud that shouldn't be, and the news is saying snow is on the way.

Stupid plants!

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Got my first snowdrops in bud though not fully in flower yet. Even a daffodil in bud. Couple of clumps of white hellebores. Some of the miniature iris are already out but I know they are so fragile and short lived. I put a lot of the small iris Harmony in last year and they are looking promising. Crocus hasn't come on much, since first showing some buds, maybe it realised it was too early.

Tessa

• Hi Tessa

I love to see evidence of spring on the way, although there's another month and a half yet before the end of February so we wait with bated breath. I planted 50 or so daffs, tulips, and tête-ā-têtes on the bank outside my bedroom window which are peeking up above the soil a little. I'm looking forward to seeing them each time the curtains are drawn back early morning. We just have a few sheep behind us so very often we don't draw the curtains at night so we can look out as soon as we wake up in the morning. 

Enjoy your garden, Tessa, large or small, it is an exciting time for everyone. I have been listening to David Attenborough on the news, he was saying that when vast areas of forestry are burned down either for clearing land or vast unbelievably large ares of bush in Australia burn either by lightning strikes or arson, we lose all that oxygen that goes into the atmosphere for us to breathe in. Very thought provoking statement.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • I get so excited to see the bulbs.popping up. My dad brought me some tulips, narcissus and iris for planting

I sowed some sweet peas which were a Christmas present and they are growing steadily, on the kitchen windowsill.

Jealous of your sheep Tvman, I would love a view like that!

Xx

Flowerlady x
  • Hi Flowerlady

Yes, it's a lovely view and one I will never ever take for granted. Soon we'll be having little lambs frolicking about and I'll send a photo to you. 

I was over the fields a few years ago when I was able to walk, and not in the wheelchair. A little lamb had temporarily lost its mum and it came to me. I sat down and picked it up and sat with it on my knee, stroking it while it sat lapping up the attention. I sat with it for 10-15 minutes then its mum came looking for it. I let it go but it followed me for ages and its mum was bleating behind it. Eventually it went off with its mum, leaving me! Such a lovely warm feeling as I held it and it snuggled up to me, fantastic it was.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember

Hi Tessa 

Again I say - have you been living in my house without my knowing it? You could be describing my garden! It’s the same here. The first few of the snowdrops are in bud and about to flower. My own hellebores are deep magenta and the flowers are forming near the soil before they put on the growth spurt that sees the stems grow to raise the buds to flowering height. It’s all so exciting and full of hope. 

Xxx

• FormerMember

I love my garden in spring, promise of new life and beautiful flowers too. I am buying some patio fruit trees this year too as i only have a small garden. Got lots of free seeds to sow later in the year including some peas and beans which did really well last year. Nothing like growing your own veg then eating it, tastes wonderful x Lynn 2.