Capecitabine

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hello

I am seeing my Consultant on Friday and she has indicated that I will be put on Capecitabine.  Just wondered if anyone else had experience of this drug?   My  cancer has gone from bones to liver and shown a small progression. Having had chemo in the past I just wonder if this type of oral chemo is kinder.

• Hello Ellie

I had this drug and coped well with it. It has left me with a little peripheral neuropathy in toes, but the results were worth it. I may be back on it soon. Hope it goes well for you x

Flowerlady x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to flowerlady

Hello.

Thank you. I am quite anxious about it.

Ellie x

• Hi EllieE, I've not personally been on this drug but just wanted to wish you well!

I take it that you trust your oncologist and team and know they will put you on the best available drug. If this is not the case, then ask when you go on Friday why this particular drug and are there any other options for you. I would urge you to sort out any anxiety you have before starting any treatment as I do believe you have to be in the right frame of mind to allow treatment to work in your favour! Good luck!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

I've done 3 cycles of this now and it is ok.  My hands and feet are drying out a bit and started getting dandruff and fatigue (seems about the same as some.of the other chemos) but s.e are manageable.

I do find it is a lot of tablets.  It does seem to be getting easier each time.  The thing I find the hardest is eating at the right time to take them - probably harder as I have never really done bStuck out tongue winking eyeakfast!!  I do like the fact my appointments have dropped and now only at hospital once every 3 weeks.  Bonus Stuck out tongue winking eye

I know it's hard when u have a treatment change and what is going to come but try to just take it as it comes and stay positive that this is the one that will make a difference. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I was on cape for two years no side effects apart from tiredness.it worked well for me at the start my secondaries are in the skin soi I could see the difference.unfortunatly it stopped working I’m now on paclitaxel which I get intravenous every week.

good luck with the Capecitabine long may it work

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there E!

I coped pretty well with this regime. And I echo what was said about it affecting the hands & feet. Yes it was nice having no regular needles (apart from routine bloods) & getting 2 spend time away from the cancer unit.

I seem 2 remember it took a bit of jiggling 2 get the right dose as I had some side effect (sorry had so many regimes I can't remember wot it was) but i was lucky enough 2 get around a year or so. Other people manage on it 4 longer but my cancer is particularly aggressive.

Good luck

WB xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I know  that everyone is different but like WB after a few initial SE and a dose reduction I managed nearly 2 years on Cape with minimal SE. Mainly fatigue and a bit of neuropathy in my left foot. Don't suffer in silence though,  if it is not agreeing with you STOP and call the chemo triage line. People think oral chemo is a soft option but it is just the same as IV chemo just a different delivery system. 

I was really worried beforehand but so glad I did it as it gave me an extra 2 years of being well and that's priceless. 

Good luck with your treatment. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello, I am 7 weeks in on Capecitabine (I also have Oxaliplatin intravenously once every three weeks) and am finding it generally ok. The main effect from the Capecitabine seems to be on hands for me so I use “Udderly Smooth” moisturising cream for that, which works well. I have been told it is the Urea in the cream that really helps. 

(The side effects from the Oxaliplatin are much more intense, though still reasonably manageable at the moment.)

I do have some underlying nausea and take Domperidone when required to try and head that off before main meals. Im not sure if the low level nausea is due to the Cape or the Oxaliplatin though.

I hope you find your treatment is manageable with minimal side effects, and that it works well for you.

• Hello Squire78

I just read your profile and we have the same condition. I hope the drugs work for you. Take care

X

Flowerlady x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to flowerlady

Hi Flowerlady,

Thanks for saying Hello. It's good to hear from someone with the same condition, though at the same time I am of course very sorry that you are having to go though such an experience too. 

I've just started my third cycle of 4 that I am having prior to a scan, so the scan should happen last week of Dec or start of Jan and then I find out how effective its all been. Trying to stay with where I am now, which is generally quite positive,  rather than thinking ahead to what the scan results may be. I'm lucky with the support I have, and do want to enjoy and appreciate each day, if I can.

I see from your profile that you may have started some more chemo after August - I hope it is going well for you now.

Still feels strange writing this though - like living in a different/alternate world.

Take care

x