To raise a smile...

• 22 replies
  • 48 subscribers

So today I was napping on my recliner, as I often do in the afternoon, especially after a busy period. Next thing I know, my burglar alarm is going off and all three cats have shot off my lap and chest in fright - ow.

It takes me a minute to register what's going on, as I'd obviously been in quite a deep sleep. So the TV is flashing on and off, my house phone is bleeping away and making the noise it does when the handset gets mains power, my alarm has stopped going off, but there are lots of others in the street going off.

Gotcha. 

It's a power cut. 

No worries, these things are normally shortlived, oh, bladder has woken up so might as well nip to the loo. Press the button on the recliner to bring the back up and the feet down..... Nothing. There's a power cut, this is an electric recliner. I'm stuck. I need a wee. 

Uh oh..... 

30 mins later, the situation is urgent. Time to bring out those ninja skills to get up from the flat out recliner. But the blanket is fighting back! 

We are now almost 2 hours later, and still no power. But I can hear kids coming and screaming trick or treat, so better go! 

• I hope you have liberated yourself now and all is well.  It sounds like it was a bit of a predicament there.

We've had a few callers so far but as my wife isn't at work at the moment I'm letting her field them all this year, usually my job.

All the best,

Gragon xx

• I've had 2 groups round so far, but felt a right creep! I'm sitting wrapped in a blanket, on the arm of the sofa in the bay window of my living room, peering out between plants to spy on kids. Then, when they come close enough to the house, I go to the door with a bowl full of sweets and call them over..... Lol

The power is still out, so there are no lights on anywhere. It means people were walking past thinking I was out or not participating. Hence the creepy window peering! 

Temperature is dropping though, and the automated message says the issue is more complicated than they first thought. So they are hoping to get the power on for 9pm. Cats are also clawing at the door because they hate not being able to be with me. So I'm considering just heading to bed, seeing as how the recliner is out of action, and seeing how much phone charge I can get from my laptop.... I was at 9%, now at 24%! Whoo hoo. Maybe see if Iplayer will work on 4G as I get under the covers and snuggle with the cats.

Oh yeh, and fruit for tea it is I guess, seeing as how all methods of cooking are out! Pfffft. 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thirty minutes later!! That is an achievement I admire, I can't last a minute when my bladder calls, well done for escaping, the image in my head is making me laugh, have to dash!!

Love pat xx

• Electricity came back on at 9:56, so 4 mins before their self imposed deadline. At 9:50 I had just wrapped up my freezer in a duvet, because it's packed with food and I can't afford to replace it all if it's ruined. So, felt a bit of a wally, but was too knackered and sore to care.

Wandered around, fed the cats their second special meal of the day - Stink Bug is 3 today! - switched off lights, left the freezer wrapped because I cba'd undoing it and it wouldn't do it any harm.

Grabbed some Halloween sweets to compliment my fruit for tea, sat down in the recliner, reclined, and started watching.... Wtf was i watching.... Some police thing... Chicago PD, that was it!

The smart ones out there know where this is going...... 

10:12pm, power cut. Estimated time of return? 1:30am. Luckily, I don't need a wee!

Yet...... 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Oh dear,just talking of a wee makes me want to go ,impressive bladder control lass

hope all back on by tomorrow morning

xxxxxxx

janet

• FormerMember

Lordy! I’m glad you made it out of the recliner. We used to get power cuts quite regularly here. One came when my kids were in the bath. I got out lots of candles and they had a candlelit bath. They still remember it to this day. It’s surprising how much heat ten candles will pump out too. 

I also failed to decorate the house so I was sitting in like a wally with a bag of Halloween Haribo and no one was knocking. So I took a basketful out along with the puppy. She loves children and was on a long lead. She ran round them, tangling their legs in her lead. So that was the trick. It was fun. 

I hope you’re snuggled up cosy and warm with the cats 

xxx

• Still in the recliner from the second power cut. Lol. Don't think I have it in me to clamber out again tbh. 2 hours and counting, an hour and fifteen until they think they'll have the electricity back on again, bladder is starting to stir once more and the newly 3 year old cat is trying to pull the curtains down and snap my avocado plant..... *Sighs*

I have some scented candles in a box, but the cats are little horrors at the minute and I wouldn't trust them around naked flames. Especially if Im not mobile enough to grab them before they try to become a flaming floof! But candlelit baths can be cool!

You win the creepy woman award for tonight Daloni! You had a puppy and sweets, and you were out hunting kids down! I just had sweets and peered at them from a window. Lol

Temperature is def dropping just now, ideally need Stink Bug to stop being a baddie and come and snuggle to warm me up. But I can hear him padding around, thinking what to try next.....

Lass

Xx

• FormerMember

If the power cuts carry on may I recommend the "special pants" you can get in chemists and other places! OK it is like wearing a big nappy but they do the trick in an emergency! I hope the cats join you soon so that you are snuggled an warm. Well must go and try and haul my special stockings off! I didn't realise such interesting items existed till I Joined this club! Hope you escape soon and manage a sleep. I will check in the morning to ensure you don't need recued!

nite nite, sleep tight!

Love Pat xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Oh ! I hadn’t twigged you were still in the recliner! I hope you get released soon. 
    xx

• FormerMember

Lass, I laughed out loud at your description of your predicament the first time. And while imagining your ninja escape skills. I hope you are safely tucked up in bed now, with your cats keeping you warm.

I'm also smiling at the thought of you and Daloni as creepy childcatchers. I suspect that being caught by either of you would be quite good fun.