Green Hands

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 19 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Now that's an interesting title!

So last week the veins behaved & let me b cannulated at the 1st attempt. But 2day was a completely different story. Every nurse on the unit had a go. I lost count 6,7,8 - I'm not sure how many attempts. Vein after vein "blew". National shortage on elastoplast! That's cos it was all attached 2 me! No spare anaesthetists- they were all in theatre or A&E. No plebotomists - all finished 4 the day (I was there 3 hours in total 4 an infusion that lasts 5mins....)

They mentioned those dreaded words again - how about "a line"? Aaaggghhh no thank u. Bn there, had the t-shirt, don't want 2 go there again.

Gonna 4get about it & enjoy my hols - we leave on Tues although teenager is whining about her sore knee. Hope I don't have 2 weeks of that... Good news is she hasn't torn her ACL but she thinks the ligament damage should get fixed instantly with a magic wand. FFS! She doesn't appreciate the private consult & private MRI scan we forked out 4. I could do with a magic wand 2 grow some money.

Oh well. Off 2 bed 2 clart on the Arnica

Night folks

WB x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear wee blond,

I share your problem with veins and the desire not to have a line. Somedays the first one finds a vein others I have many many attempts.  One thing I have found, if I fully hydrate and can see the veins in my hands it all goes more smoothly- it is just that sometimes I forget to drink enough fluids and it is hard to see/find my veins.

Hope that helps,

Millie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hey wee blonde

Have you asked for a port? I've got one and they are brilliant!!

• Hey Button, I definitely will be asking for a port.  I have had one in the past and would much rather a port than a pic. 

ColeD74 
  • FormerMember

Hey Button, 

I'm 2 stubborn. I had the PICC line but hated it cos of the hassle of getting it maintained (our nursing practice staff varied greatly in their ability 2 do this), the probs I had with it (it leaked 3 times) & also stopped me being able 2 go on foreign hols.

I know some people have less probs with the port but I really don't want one.

Who knows wot they r going 2 do with me nxt? The last MDT meeting has suggested a bilateral mastectomy subject 2 my nxt scan so who knows wot it will bring? Certainly my Eribulin is the last chemo option 4 me...

Thanks 4 the suggestion though

WB x

• I'm the same re the terrible veins and the desperation not to have a line. 

About 4 months ago they were on the last attempt before they gave up and a nurse went in my wrist. Worked first time. 

Since then I've always asked for the wrist and it always goes in first time. A few nurses have said they won't do it there but once they've failed a few (painful) times on the back of my hand they eventually give in. 

Maybe worth a try if you haven't been in there? I now have track lines up my wrist like a junkie, but that's better than a permanent line. 

• FormerMember

Hi

I've just been told I'm going to  have eribulin as the cape has stopped working. 

Have you had your first cycle yet?

Button 

• FormerMember

Hi Button

Bummer that the Cape stopped working. I got 9-12 months on that.

Yep I've finished the 1st cycle of the Eribulin with no major side effects. The worst thing was my veins as mentioned previously. I felt quite tired on it but I'm incapable of slowing down - still working fulltime.

We r speaking 2 u from a very hot Rhodes 2day as part of my Greek isles cruise with my daughter.

I have a CT scan 2 look 4ward 2 when I return but so far I'm feeling no difference. Maybe early days... I usually know when it's working.

Take care & let me know how things go. When do u start?

WB xx

• FormerMember

Hi

I'm starting tomorrow.  My MRI results were worse then was expecting with it spreading to lungs and stomach!

I really need it to work! Did you do the cold cape?

How was the holibobs??

• FormerMember

This is the post for which I need a “do not like” tag, . I’m really sorry to hear about your MRI results. How are you feeling physically? My doctors always major on the fact that how you feel is more important than scan results. 

Lots of love xxx

• FormerMember

Honestly the pain is the most annoying thing which I've got oramorph  for.  I've been so lucky that this is my first bout of pain but I've ended in hospital 3 times due to not managing it.  

Let's hope that this chemo helps with all of that. I'm trying to be positive and it helps reading all the positive stories

X