Living with incurable cancer - incurable patients only

This group is specifically for people with an incurable or terminal diagnosis. Whether you need to talk about dying, or about making the most of your life, you can discuss your feelings openly here.

Three Good Things

Gobaith
Posted by

Shattered after a lovely week on holiday in North Wales; it's now coming to an end but most peaceful I've felt in ages.

1. Sitting on a breezy beach watching the kids splash and laugh and play for hours. I was there, I was involved, I felt normal. 

2.  Monopoly deal is a great card game, played it way too much this week...

3. Lovely peaceful cottage with a beautiful view and a fabulous big bath to soak in. 

Truly grateful for another summer with the kids. Stood in playground on first school day last September and wept once they'd all gone in. Thought I wouldn't see another but on Tuesday my big girl goes to secondary school and on Wednesday my baby girl starts juniors! 

Clare
Tinalay
Posted by

Morning all.

Gobaith, your 3 good things are so special, and say it all.

Precious time with your kids, a fabulous bath to soak in, in a beautiful location, absolutely priceless.

I follow this thread but haven't posted. I'm beginning to appreciate the significance of actually writing things down.

My 3 good things

1. We booked the flights for Cephalonia.

I've cancelled 3 weekends away at the 11th hour since March due to complications with chemo, resulting in a hospital admission. I've got a review with my Oncologist on Fri, and need to get his blessing, but if we don't book, we definitely can't go! 

2. My energy levels have picked up a bit after teaching 8 group classes and a private this week. Managed 5,000 steps with the dog yesterday, at a sedate pace, but just lovely to be outside.

3. I'm going for lunch with our younger son in his new home today. xx

Tinalay 
Kircal
Posted by

Gobaith your three good things are just wonderful. I’ve felt the same despair at thoughts of what I might not see and enjoy with my family. 

However since awful diagnosis I’ve seen my daughter engaged, married and first grand child. Amazing all. 

Tinalay I Hope Cephalonia works out and you can enjoy your holiday this time. You are being very good at asking for the hospitals blessing. I’m hoping to head fair Mallorca in a couple of weeks and I’m not telling them!  May be a mistake. 

My extra three good things 

feeling not too bad after chemo 

breakfast in bed this morning

hair still intact and looking good!

Tinalay
Posted by

Kircal, that really is amazing and helps to give hope to others in this position.

Actually, I didn't ask for the hospitals ok, the Consultant asked if we had any plans as he was going on holiday himself. 

He was cautiously encouraging, but said we'd need to wait and see how things are on Fri as there's still a lot of consolidation in my lungs from pneumonia/pleurisy, and I'm getting recurrent tonsillitis. Like you, I was hoping to fly under the radar. Some of the insurance companies ask if you have your Oncologists permission to fly.

Good news on the hair front, long may it last! xx

Tinalay 
flowerlady
Posted by

Dear Gobaith

When I read your words "I felt normal" it really resonated. Those times are indeed precious.

Xx

Flowerlady x
Maybug
Posted by

Spending time with my son and his family. Really enjoying my toddler granddaughter. Highlights of today include:

Watching her in the park going up and down the slide.

Having her climb on my knee with a book - several times. It’s a great opportunity for a kiss and cuddle.

Hearing all her new words in English and Chinese 

Wee blonde
Posted by

When u get ur horrible diagnosis I never think u will c major milestones but y'day was one of my best!!!

1. My girl crying very happy tears when her chums turned up 4 her surprise 21st celebration. I'd organised with hubbie & 7 girls who managed not 2 spill a bean. That look will stay with me 4ever...
  2. Saying farewell 2 my boss who took a chance employing me on a temporary contract nearly 15 years ago with no experience in that particular field (libraries fyi). May she enjoy her retirement 
  3. Having a girlie works meal b4 the above event with some of my loyal workmates. The service may have bn a bit c*** but the company & giggles was fantastic. 2 b repeated again as some special b'days coming up in Oct.

One of the busiest Sat evenings I've ever had but so memorable.

WB xx

Ps the restaurant thought it ok 4 people not 2 all b served their meals at the same time then with accompaniments missing (lovely duck in plum sauce but would have liked the rice with it lol)

Wee blonde

Hard working,  bubbly, positive

daloni
Posted by

Hi That’s a cracking Saturday, WB. I’m beaming from ear to ear. 

My three good things today

1. My friend made me a beautiful bracelet to go with a beautiful dress I bought to wear next weekend. I’m gonna look so swanky 

2. We had a lovely family lunch to celebrate my nieces birthday 

3. It’s a bit cooler - makes wearing compression stockings much more tolerable 

xx

daloni
Posted by

1. My daughter and I went to visit a cockapoo breeder in search of a puppy. (We need something to replace my big girl when she leaves for university in three weeks). Omg they were so cute. Puppy chosen and deposit paid. We go back on Friday to see her again. 

2. Dinner at my neighbour’s 

3. My big girl came home from her last festival this summer and put her own laundry in the machine. 

Xx

Tinalay
Posted by

Hi Daloni, that's so exciting! 

Big change when your daughter goes to uni, gulp. Puppy therapy is the best  Can't wait to see a photo xx

Tinalay 
Elliekate
Posted by

Daloni That's lovely. Dogs bring such joy but lots of hard work. My youngest daughter and her boyfriend recently got an Akita puppy she is now 19 weeks old and so gorgeous. She has had a training lesson and did very well and is starting puppy classes later this month. I'm just sad that now I'm wheelchair bound I cant take her for a walk but I can wheel alongside if someone else is holding her.

My mam passed away on July 22nd and on the morning of the day she collapsed she had had a lovely time playing with the puppy on her bed such a nice memory to hold on to.

Enjoy your new family member when she comes home to you xx

Maybug
Posted by

Daloni, you must be Superwoman to take on a puppy but I’m sure she’s gorgeous. 

anndanv
Posted by

Daloni, Well a puppy! Fantastic! Your youngest daughter will be so busy with the new pup, she won't have time to miss her big sister! (I hope!) All you have to do now is decide on a cute name for a cute puppy!

Maybe this is your older daughter practicing doing her washing etc before she goes to Uni, so that if anything goes wrong, she can still ask mum!

Im sure it will be the most loved puppy on the planet!

Love Annette x

anndanv
Posted by

Hi Elliekate, I'm sorry to hear about your mum but what a lovely  last memory of her playing with the pup! Every time you think of her now, you will smile! I'm smiling and I didn't even know her! Hope the puppy lessons go well, what did you call her?

Love Annette x

Wee blonde
Posted by

Daloni! A puppy! How exciting. I love these wee bundles of fluff with their silly ways. One minute speeding round the garden & in the nxt instant curled up snoring their wee head's off.

We all insist on many many pics.

Our Freida, now 18 months is just a joy (tried 2 insert a snap but phone not playing ball...). She's a smaller lighter version of my profile pic. That pic is our old boy who is a grumpy old man of 10.

It'll b all systems go with DD off 2 Uni. Mine goes back on Sun.

And I'm impressed with the washing machine bit! Mine only loaded the machine cos I was in hosp & she had 9 weeks worth of clothing...

Night all

WB xx

Wee blonde

Hard working,  bubbly, positive