Living with incurable cancer - incurable patients only

This group is specifically for people with an incurable or terminal diagnosis. Whether you need to talk about dying, or about making the most of your life, you can discuss your feelings openly here.

Three Good Things

daloni
Posted by

Don’t talk to me about cats and mice! One of my cats brought me a live mouse the other night and proceeded to chase it around my bedroom. I ended up catching it (cat one side of curtain, mouse the other and I swooped. Got it by the tail) and liberating it into the garden. I hope it found its way home. 

My three good things today 

1. A boat trip with my nieces. Lovely company. Lovely lunch.

2. A great chat with friend whom I see only rarely 

3. My daughter made me a lovely cup of tea 

xx

Ms.Lin
Posted by

Daloni, you must be much faster than I am to have caught the mouse. I've tried throwing a towel over one to catch it that way, but without success. Am not keen to try with my bare hands; do not fancy being bitten. My sister caught one once years ago. I do not remember how she went about it. 

Three things:

1) A friend came for a cup of tea and a chat.

2) A row of four Limes is blooming along the way I walk each day. The fragrance is wonderful.

3) A yellow lily has opened up in the garden. I must look up its name.i

Lin
Maybug
Posted by

Had a good burst of energy on the first day of our break.

I’m  seeing my older granddaughter (5) this weekend.

I’m in Wales and it isn’t raining. 

daloni
Posted by

Hi

My sister recommends a cereal box with a hole in one corner. The mouse runs in, you pick up the box. I have never tried it. I just wait until the mouse is exhausted and pick it up by the tail. It can’t bite me and I can release it back into the wild. 

Anyway. Three good things from yesterday. 

1. CT scan all done and a nice time had as a friend came to meet me for coffee afterwards. We went to the Whitechapel Gallery - nice space, nice music, great coffee

2. I picked up the fabric for my niece’s bridesmaids’ dressing gowns. I was wearing a pair of trousers I’d made from fabric I bought at the same shop last year. The shopkeeper was so delighted she charged me less than we’d negotiated last week when I was scouting fabrics. £12 a 12 yard bolt. Bargain. Now to start the gown-a-thon

3. I successfully adapted my favourite brownie recipe for my daughter’s current needs. She’s going through a hideous allergy crisis and has had an intermittent all over body rash for three weeks now. She has to do two weeks off antihistamines before allergy testing and it’s piteous to behold the state of her. We are cutting out potential allergens from her diet including gluten. A straight swap of gram (chickpea) flour for wheat flour and bingo! 

Oh dear. Is this a bit showy offy? Perhaps I can be indulged. I think I may be overcompensating for scanxiety (not expecting good results tbh), anxiety about daughter and anxiety about a kidney op planned for next week. I am keeping busy. 

Xx

CurlsCurls
Posted by

Hi! I'm new on Macmillan.

I caught mice that way. I noticed my pretzel box jumped. Bagged it and opened after a car ride, and out went a mouse. I eventually caught the whole family of 4 with it. Every time the box jumped, I slammed down the lid.

The thick, salted, old fashioned, hard kind of pretzels. This mouse family liked them.

Sounds like lots of skills. Good luck with everything!

Button16
Posted by

@Daloni please please come live near me.   I need someone like you in my life to teach me things lol! I'm a full on believer that talenteed people should be able to boast lol 

Prudysgirl
Posted by

With this thing to contend with Daloni I think you are fully entitled to show off your ability to find your own light in a dark and scary tunnel. 

All power to you I think you are amazing. 

Xx

daloni
Posted by

Ah thanks you lovely lot. And welcome

Xxx

daloni
Posted by

Nearly forgot. Three good things today 

1. Pre op assessment done. Tick that off my list. 

2. A two hour nap this afternoon. Post anxiety sleep? 

3. Off to an open air theatre show this evening at the local nature reserve. The rain looks like it’s over. Hurray! 

daloni
Posted by

I’m in bed and going through my three good things today. Thought I’d share them  

1. The lovely home hospice nurse rang me for a regular check in. I hadn’t realised how badly I needed to offload to her. 

2. I got out for a walk today for the first time in ages. I saw an orchid and picked some chamomile. I have a cup of chamomile tea at my side as I type.  

3. I spent a happy couple of hours mucking about with bits of fabric and watching “beginners quilting” videos on YouTube. 

Night all 

xx

CurlsCurls
Posted by

Daloni,

What a lovely sounding day. Thank you for sharing it!

Curls

Kircal
Posted by

Making chamomile tea from fresh chamomile sounds delicious. I hope it helped you to relax/sleep Daloni. 

My 3 good things

Picked up my son from the airport. He is home from New Zealand for 6 weeks. 

Lovely walk in the sunshine with the dogs. 

Knitting little jumper for Ted. Started knitting it for aged 6 months had finished most of back and front before deciding it needed to be bigger. Pulled it all out so I could knit a bigger size. Finally completed back and front last night. Very satisfying. Now just have the collar and sleeves to do but will I have enough wool....! Looking good though. 

Polly

daloni
Posted by

Knitting lovely things for the ones we love. A happy way to spend time. Do show us a picture when you’re finished, Polly 

xx

Ms.Lin
Posted by

Hi all, 

On catching mice:

Daloni, how does one go about exhausting the mouse without exhausting oneself? Catching one by the tail sounds delightful to me.

I asked my sister. Her method was similar to the cereal box or Curiscuris' pretzel box. I imagine the mouse would go behind the clock or under the halltree and into the box once I'd fallen asleep whilst waiting.

On sewing:

I am currently working at putting together a blue and yellow patchwork quilt for our nephew's wedding gift. Also a dress for a granddaughter.

Polly, I am envious of anyone who can knit a garment. I confine my knitting to blankets, shawls and other 2 dimensional projects. My grandmother thought it a pity bordering on scandal that I could not knit stockings.

This all is indicative of my age. Needlework was expected.

Three good things:

1) a wet walk in flowered wellies and tangerine windcheat (gifts from daughter wants me to be highly visible to motorists)

2) the leaves on the oak are as long as my hand from wrist to fingertips. I am not certain why this pleases me so much.

3) As I was walking a boy leaned out upper floor window and shouted, "Ahoy, Ms. Lin! Have you seen any whales?" I thought he said "snails." His sister popped her head out over his and said, " Don't mind him, he's mad with playing the house is a ship. "  I walked home through the puddles to my own ship.

Lin
daloni
Posted by

Ahoy

oh you made me smile and then laugh 

to answer your mouse question, I let the cat do the exhausting. 

My three good things 

1. I finished mucking about with scraps of fabric and ta-dah! I have a reversible, patchwork tote bag. 

2. My big girl has arrived safely in Norwich, a 130 mile drive through Friday traffic. Do we ever stop worrying about them? 

3. I failed to stake my peonies in the spring so now they have collapsed. I have cut a bunch for the house. Problem solved. Beauty and perfume brought inside. 

Xx