Living with incurable cancer - incurable patients only

This group is specifically for people with an incurable or terminal diagnosis. Whether you need to talk about dying, or about making the most of your life, you can discuss your feelings openly here.

Three Good Things

daloni
Posted by

Hurray for oncologists with fight! 

Hurray for your marvellous child! 

And hurray for fabulous birthday parties. 

Sorry to hear it’s been a rough time, . Good luck with the chemo. May you sail through with great bloods, easy veins, few side effects and enough energy to enjoy life. 

I have had a super quiet day today. I didn’t leave the house until school pick up time. I spent the day mucking about with scraps of fabric and made two reversible patchwork tote bags. They are rather splendid. If I say so myself 

xxx

daloni
Posted by

Here’s one of them 

SussexOvarian
Posted by

Good luck tomorrow with your chemo Button16. Sorry to hear you’ve had such a rotten week.

XX

Gobaith
Posted by

Hi all, 

really hope the chemo goes well tomorrow - miserable. Sorry to hear you've had a bad week. Be thinking of you. 

you really are a marvel with all this sewing and cooking - I feel quite ashamed of my lack of industry! Well done for getting through the last few months - and with such grace. 

three good things:

1. got a lift to school whilst standing at the bus stop - very grateful as feel very low in energy due to coming off my steroids (that's really no fun, anyone any experience of coming off dexamethasone after nearly a year of use - I had it to reduce swelling on my brain from the mets??). 

2. had a piano lesson - much fun despite feeling rubbish. I now understand how the pedal works! 

3. lovely story time with my youngest who has just gone to bed - she's been a little manic since school pick up so a nice relaxed bedtime was very welcome. 

xx

Clare
SussexOvarian
Posted by

I really hope you recover quickly from this your last chemo Daloni and that your strength returns so you can enjoy ‘time off’ treatment.

1 I’ve been able to do more the last few days. By that I don’t mean marathons, just my first trip to Sainsburys in two weeks. Actually my first trip anywhere except hospital. I’ve got really good at buying in enough to get me by for after chemo periods.

2 Now I feel ok to drive I feel liberated.

3. Reading a lovely book about Venice and remembering when I was there. Where did the last 44 years go! But I can still taste my first glass of vermouth! Wish I had some in the house now. I’ll have to go back won’t I?!! To Venice that is!

XX

Lass
Posted by

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Kircal
Posted by

Loving the Tote Bag Daloni. The colours look great. Just as well you made two or your daughters would be fighting over them. 

Ms.Lin
Posted by

Hi all,

Daloni, I agree with Polly:the colors are great.

SussexO, Understand about the driving.Went out this week in the car on my own.

Three from yesterday:

1) Pleased to have taken myself to sewing in the car. 

2) Neighbours back from holiday. I confessed to having fatally neglected a pot of basil on a sill behind a curtain. I did attempt to resuscitate it with water but suspect it will not come back! I was most kindly forgiven.

3) Lovely golden-orange sunlight on the tops of the hills 9pm. Love the long daylight hours.

Three from today:

1) Looking at Lass's photos of veg and flowers on the gardening thread.

2) Roses now blooming in our garden and also at War Memorial garden where there is also clematis of white with blue veins. 

3) Pulled grass choking the delphiniums. Felt good to do. Breathless quickly, but happy.

Lin
SussexOvarian
Posted by

Gobaith

How have you managed a year on Dex!

I only have to take it for the day before and for five days during and after drugs!

Whilst on it it makes me want to eat and eat. - Since diagnosis 5 years ago I have put on 3-4 stone!

I can’t sleep.

I feel depressed and soooooo tired  - never get a bounce like you and Daloni mention.

I can’t wait to stop having to take them each time.

Am I just not normal?

My three things:

1. Managed half an hour in the garden to tie up my poor bedraggled roses inbetween ALL THE RAIN! Did me good after getting stir crazy yesterday. It is June isn’t it?

2. Had a lovely cuddle with my youngest granddaughter (17 months) who wouldn’t let my daughter return from the school run without coming into see me. Soooo determined just like her mother was.

3. Struggling to think of a third thing whilst listening to the news I realise how lucky I am. I have a warm safe home and family near.

XX

daloni
Posted by

Hi

yes steroids destroy sleep and play havoc with the waistline. I have put on a stone in the last six months. They seem gi be a necessary evil as they do reduce the chemo side effects. I was chatting to a friend who had chemo 30 years ago when there were far fewer drugs around to help us through and it sounded awful. 

My three good things. 

1. I got slightly further than the bottom of the garden for the first time this week. I took a trip to the fabric shop to stock up and scout something for the dressing gowns my niece wants me to make for her bridesmaids at her wedding later this year. Sample pic to follow....

2. I got to the postbox finally. The letters I needed to post are no longer giving me recriminating looks. 

3. My lovely daughters. They make me happy. 

daloni
Posted by

I like this fabric. Hope my niece does too 

SussexOvarian
Posted by

Hi Daloni

Yes I know steroids and all the other drugs I am taking are necessary and save me much worse side affects. Whenever I feel nauseous I think at least I’ve never actually been sick like all sufferers used to be.

I am grateful to all those who in the past went on trials so I could benefit now, which is why I hope the trial I am on will help others in the future.

I can only hope that if my children have this awful disease things would be easier for them by then.

My three good things:

1. I haven’t done any of my photobook today so far. Why is that good? Because I’ve done other things instead!

2. Had a drive around to see there still is a world out there and ended up at my daughters. Had lots of cuddles with my granddaughter then we had a lovely lunch together.

3. She called in after school and her children picked some of my first strawberries that I cannot believe the birds had not eaten. I know you can picture the 17 month with the juice dripping off her lips and her cheeks bulging. Classic!

4. Yes, today I’m showing off by having four things., I picked a bunch of roses and peonies for my daughter to take home. She deserved them.

Ms.Lin
Posted by

Hi, 

Enjoyed thinking of you, SussexO, driving around making sure of the world.

Three good things for today:

1) Walked to the Post office with a rest on the bench at the War Memorial where I saw pink peonies as well as the roses.(Have they always been there?? Have I been blind?)

2) Bought Dear Mrs.Byrd, by AJ Pierce at the bookseller coming back.  Something easy and entertaining to read whilst sitting in the garden.Can pass it around my sewing group when done.

3) Received call from oncologistgynaecologist that surgery has been approved and scheduled. Seems to be following the appt with him rather quickly. How is this good news?  Over and done with sounds good to me!

Lin
kirky68
Posted by

Hi all hope everyone is keeping well. Three good things today .

I am currently sat waiting for a CT and the cannula went in on the 1st attempt. Unheard of!

My little Robin is back in my garden after a few weeks away who knows where 

My OH is going to make me a lovely brunch when I get home. 

Love to all and hope this weather improves xx

Ms.Lin
Posted by

Hi,

Happy your Robin is back, Kirky68.

Three good things for today:

1) Washed some silk shirts. The sky was cloudy but with a little wind so I chanced it and hung them out. They dried quickly. Can quit walking by the basket thinking I need to wash them.

2) The neighbour came over for a chat and to give me some fabric she'd found. 

3) The cat brought us a mouse and left it on the stair. I have gone about and checked all the traps in pantry and elsewhere. They are empty and set. So now nothing more to do but take deep breath and be thankful for the cat.

Mice are very cute. As a child I wanted one for a pet. I like to look carefully at the ones the cat brings if they are not mangled.

Lin