Living with incurable cancer - incurable patients only

This group is specifically for people with an incurable or terminal diagnosis. Whether you need to talk about dying, or about making the most of your life, you can discuss your feelings openly here.

Three Good Things

SussexOvarian
Posted by

You’ve got my mouth watering! It’s got to be:

1. Scone

2. Jam

3, Cream

3 very good things!!

XX

SussexOvarian
Posted by

I know it’s early but I already have my 3 good things!

1. Woke up and saw out my bedroom window a beautiful bright red poppy was in flower just below me. Walked round the garden and a cream with purple centre has also appeared in the early morning sun.

2. My lovely favourite doctor has just phoned me to say tumours have shrunk 19% on average! Yes I would have liked 100% but hey I’m only half way through and somethings happening. They are pleased. If one shrinks a bit more they won’t be measuring it. Only worry is if I have another reaction to the carboplatin and it’s worse and I can’t continue with that drug I also cant continue with the trial. But will cross that bridge ...

3. I can now relax and enjoy the long weekend. First Bank holiday I have been able to for ages.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

XX

Ms.Lin
Posted by

I am so thankful for this thread. So helpful to read of good things.

Am assaulted by waves of "waiting anxiety". My oncologist, based on my symptoms diary and what he saw in periphery of a scan ordered another more comprehensive scan, a ca125 and referred me to a colleague, a oncologistgynaecologist. But of course, now I can only wait.

That brings me to my three good things:

1) Fatigue and confusion mean I can't maintain an anxious state long, so mostly am happily in the moment.

2) Mrs.and Mrs. Duck back dabbling in our grass. They are s sleek, solid and self-possessed.

3) Neighbour provided us with lettuce, spinach and asparagus. She says they have a great over abundance and even took some to the library to give away.I would not have thought of the library as a location for distribution of greens, but why not? If the librarian is agreeable. (Perhaps she received the lions share)

Lin
Gobaith
Posted by

Hi all, 

Love reading all the lovely things going on in your lives - we are not defined by cancer alone. 

- so glad you had a lovely holiday - welcome back. I'm off to Greece on Tuesday - can't wait...

My three good things:

1. Scans show my cancer is now reduced to two tiny tumours, one in my abdomen area (peritoneum) and one in my brain. Both reducing nicely and I'm going to try and come off the steroids - super excited about that. I was riddled in numerous organs (and random spaces) in October and told I wouldn't get to May as chemo wasn't working. But: 

2. It's my 40th birthday weekend and I've well and truly defied my expiry date.

3. Lots of lovely things planned this weekend with my children, friends and family to celebrate not only still being here, but feeling well and getting stronger again. 

Very grateful for my oncologist who was willing to try different approaches and give me a chance to live when the MDT was saying palliative... I'm still here! 

Wishing you all a lovely bank holiday weekend. 

Clare
Button16
Posted by

where about in Greece are you goin?

Thats wonderful news about your tumours! What a great birthday present....happy birthday x

Gobaith
Posted by

Thank you - we're going to Kefalonia. Never been but understand it's beautiful. V. excited! xx

Clare
Ms.Lin
Posted by

Clare, wishes for a lovely birthday weekend. So glad for good news the scans revealed. Will look for Kefalonia on map.

SussexOvarian, your garden sounds lovely! You mentioned that comfrey makes good plant feed. Maggie said it stinks when rotting. We used comfrey poutices on small wounds or sores on the horses' legs. It has been years since the horses were with us. I don't know if this is done now.

3Things:

1) Headache free day ( I know it is not over, but am being "positive")

2) Cat " helped"with yoga.Hubby was sure she intended to help; I was of a different opinion, but he was so amused I did not protest.

3) Collared doves calling.

Lin
daloni
Posted by

Good evening!

I hope you have a happy, happy birthday Clare. 

And Lin, I know I shouldn’t but I couldn’t help it. Thankful for making me laugh with your comment about being unable  to maintain an anxious state for long. 

I’ve had a lovely day but I feel unaccountably uneasy and sad. I think I’m tired of being brave, strong and an inspiration, which I did a lot of today. It seemed to be what people wanted of me. 

So my three good things 

1. Reading the three good things from the last day or so. 

2. Feeling safe here to admit to how I’m really feeling. I would really like to cry

3. A swim, a bit of yoga and nice lunch with friends 

xx

Button16
Posted by

its hard having to be positive all the time. My work friends would go have a 'toilet cry' when they had had a rough day, that way they could do it private but the girls knew that they needed a bit of support.

Its only 730 but my day has started really well. I'm having a cuppa outside 

Calli and my hair look extactly the same this morning - very big and wild

And when Calli  woke up she asked 'are you ok mummy?' I love hearing her making sentences.

Have a lovely bank holiday weekend all

Julie x

SussexOvarian
Posted by

Oh Daloni

I want to give you a big, big hug and say cry cry cry. If you’re like me once you’ve done that you’ll feel better and I say to myself ‘ OK, that’s enough, now get on with it’ and I do something I’ve been meaning to do even if it’s just sitting doing the shredding that’s piled up and I can do even when I’m tired.

I find it hard always keeping ‘a face on’ for the children. It does become quite a habit. But we understand and are here for you when cracks happen as you have been for us.

My 3 things for yesterday

1 My youngest daughter, granddaughter and I went to a garden centre for a cuppa. Usually that’s all she wants to do but at last she has become interested in gardening! So she was walking round taking photos of plants she liked and hoped to buy once she’s cleared her jungle!

2 On the same vein, she wrote a list and one plant was ’dranium’ I thought she meant geranium but she was thinking of delphinium. Made me laugh.

3 Happy to hear your news Claire. It gives us all hope. I hope you have a lovely birthday.

XX

Kircal
Posted by

I'm reading this on the train in my way back from London where I've had such a lovely time  it's nice to read of holidays and bike rides and gardens as well as the human side which just every now and then can't quite keep up the show.  We are all human  

Good things

1. Meeting and getting to know my new grandson which is the most wonderful thing

2. Enjoyed a day at Chelsea Flower Show yesterday in the sunshine with my hubby. All inspired to attack the garden when I get home 

3. Appointment confirmed for a second opinion on 5th June so not long to wait

daloni
Posted by

Hi! 

I enjoyed the Chelsea Flower Show on the tv! 

My three good things from yesterday

1. My daughter drove us up to Norwich from Kent to stay with friends. It was so nice to relax on the back seat, listening to a good audiobook and crochet a Harry Potter en route, especially as I had chemo on Tuesday 

2. A lovely day of chatting, napping and playing games 

3. We had a fabulous supper of miso roasted aubergine with sticky rice

Kircal
Posted by

Daloni supper sounds delicious. 

Well Chelsea inspired me a little bit.....

3 Good Things

I managed to get half of my tubs and planters sorted before running out of compost. Garden looking lovely with Wisteria, Alliums and Aquilega coming into there own. 

Lovely lunch yesterday with my goddaughter on her birthday

Looking forward to a gentle game of tennis this morning with friends if only the rain will stay away. It's looking a bit dodgy. 

Polly

titus
Posted by

Hi

This blackbird/Thrush stared to build the nest in the entrance to our shed a couple of weeks ago. I managed to install a small cctv  camera about the same time.We watched during construction and then as she spent increasing hours sitting on it. Having been away we were delighted to find on our return she had laid at least one egg. We will keep monitoring and will update as things progress.

Titus

May the sun shine on your face and the road rise up to meet you

titus
Posted by

Dinner Time

Titus

May the sun shine on your face and the road rise up to meet you