Gardens, Gardening, Plants, etc 2019

• 96 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Well, we're getting into that time of year when gardens need a bit more TLC than they've had over the last few months. So I figured it was time for a new thread for the year.

Before Christmas an AMAZING friend paid for me to finally get a fence built round my back yard. This means it is now secure and I can make the kitchen garden I've always wanted! It's all very exciting for me! So I've bought compost, planters, canes, food, and seeds! Then I spotted some little plants, and bought 2 of them too. 

So I've just been outside and planted up the 2 plants that arrived - a normal high yield blueberry, and a pink blueberry that apparently has a different taste to it. I've also got some black raspberry seeds soaking, as they need soaked for 24 hours then put in the fridge for 2 months, before being grown, then planted outside a couple of months later. I've then got 10 types of herb, and 30 types of veg to plant out through the year too. 

Not tried growing veg before, so it's all new and a massive learning experience for me. But I'm looking forward to it, and it gives me a reason to go outside, as well as a nice space to go outside to!

Anyone else got anything new going on in their gardens this year?

Lass

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lass

I know how much difference a fence makes as l moved last March and had to get a fence erected as the seller didn't! I did negotiate a reduction in the purchase price.

I managed to create a veg plot with raised beds. So glad l did as do not have that amount of energy now. I planted courgettes and peas and raspberries, rhubarb and carrots and beetroot. The raspberries, peas and courgettes did well but not the carrots and beetroot.

Not sure about this year's crop. It isn't the planting and weeding it is the watering.Get very breathless now so rather than watering cans may have to save up for a long hose! I found some courgette starter kits for window cills in b&q that worked very well so will have to look out for them again.

Your enthusiasm is infectious so big ta for getting me thinking about my veg plot and what to plant this year x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Good conversation.  Yes I need to keep remembering other things in life.  Planning the veg and fruit patch, even if it means more digging for husband.  Sunrise over mountains

• See, I do have a hose somewhere, but I put it away last winter then blow me if I couldn't find it for the summer just gone. I do have a watering can, but there's a met in my spine right around the shoulder blades, T8, so carrying anything sets it off. So a lot of things struggled in the heat wave we had as I just wasn't able to keep them wet enough!

Also, my landlord changed my tap to one that doesn't easily connect to the hose. I've managed to bodge something together, but it does leak and flood my kitchen a little when I use it. Lol. Really wish they'd ask what I want when things break, not just get whatever is cheapest or that they have to hand. But anyways, DEF need to hunt out the hose before this summer as there's no chance I can watering can front and back as I'm physically a lot weaker than I was last year.

That's the fence under construction. So you can see there's not a lot of space, and there definitely wasn't any security. Lol. Just the wall and a big ol' gap!

I'd def say to look on Amazon, there are some fairly cheap and long hoses on there. 

And I look forward to hearing what you try to grow this year! I think the planning is exciting, as you get to imagine everything you'll see springing up then eating later in the year!

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Hi Lass

Your fence looks grand. I don't want to jinx another sunny summer but watering is the problem especially the veg. I forgot l tried runnrr beans that unfortunately were very stringy and they need so much water so not planning to try them again. I was surprised at how successful my peas were as l have never got the hang of sweet peas which l adore the fragrance. I also love sweet raw peas! 

Your post prompted a walk around my garden and the weeds are growing well! I have just had a garden catalogue in the post and am wondering about miniature fruit trees that you can plant in pots. Have you ever tried these? Was thinking of apple and cherry. I could then place the pots within existing hose area! Thanks re Amazon tip as B & Q are actually quite limited on how many hoses they do. Like you l have an awkward tap to fit hose on.

I also had a go at tomatoes and tried the yellow variety. They were OK but think they would have been better if l had used a tomato fertiliser. I had wondered about the hanging variety but being short watering would be difficult. 

Shrubs l am trying to limit to white and purple as l have seen some stunning gardens by colour in the gardening magazines. I tend to buy modern garden magazine as it is cheaper than the BBC gardeners world. Do you get any gardening magazines? A subscription would be a lovely present which l always forget when asked what l would like for Xmas or my birthday. 

Are you planning more veg and herbs rather than flowers? I tend to get shrubs rather than annuals as whilst annuals are a lovely splash of colours they take more work.

Thanks for this thread as nice to chat about something other than declining health x

• That pic is me standing by the sink in my kitchen, taking the pic out of the window. The door is just to my right. I've got the same size of space out the front too, and my hose reaches through the kitchen, through the bottom of the stairs, and through the sitting room to the front door. I can get a few steps out of the door, and holding it at the right angle, I can get water to everything in the front garden.

This is the one I got....

Magic Garden Hose pipe 100 ft https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QTNUV9W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-4HoCbMFG9GRJ

I do love a fresh pea off the plant. My Mum used to grow them, but never knew she grew as many as she did - because we stole them off the plant when we were out playing. Lol

Good to hear your weed crop is doing well! Lol. Dandelion leaves are edible, as are nettles..... 

Fruit trees close to the door sounds like a good plan. I've not tried those sorts of trees myself, but I know people who have with mixed results. I've got a clove currant I've been growing for 3 years now in a pot, and this summer it fruited - clove currants are a REALLY interesting taste! So one thing to consider is the age of the tree when you buy it. Young ones won't fruit for a few years, older ones will but of course price goes up the older they are. I quite fancy a finger lime tree myself!

Do you bake? Because apples and cherries are great fruits for crumbles and pies and strudel etc. And Autumn is a good time of year for those sorts of desserts!

I've got some tomato food, so my fingers are crossed that the plants are successful! Speaking of... I've forgotten to plant up my raspberry seeds I was soaking. I'll need to do that after this post.

No gardening magazines here. As you can see from the pic, my gardens aren't big enough to warrant a magazine. I just nose through Amazon, and garden centre websites to see what plants I fancy. So it's a complete eclectic mix. Lol

Out front, I've got..... here's a test of memory..... 4 buddleia, 2 lilac, a dogwood, 2 tubs of Lily trees, 2 tubs of tulips, a strawberry tree, a fuschia, a palm, a rhododendron, a pink pampas grass, and a few other things that I can picture, but not name. Lol. So bulbs that hopefully come back each year, and long lasting trees - both for colour every year. Then there's a bed and some troughs that get seeded each year with wildflower seeds to do their thing. Oh! There are carnations too that I grew from a bunch of flowers I got!

So out the back will be all veg, fruit, and herbs in a kitchen garden. Gives me a project to do, and saves me money in the long run if I can produce food for myself! Or that's the plan anyway. Lol

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember

Gaynor, Lass, m-j

Im lost, I've tried, I've read the thread several times but I am lost! You three keep mentioning photos but I can only see one. No hose pipes or models in gardens, just a yard with a dustbin!

Now Im as easy going as the next idiot but if reference is made tp a pic then a pic I need to see.

Disturbed of Evesham

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Now Gaynor Its been a couple or so decades since I was courting but it cant have changed THAT much. If you want a husband pop out to the local Palais de dance or the pub.

Digging will get you nowhere!

Regards Percy Throwup

• FormerMember

Finally Lass

If your plot (and I really think you have lost it here), if your plot is so small, why would you want to go to the Amazon. Especially with all those gators and Piranha?

Im applying to the Roy Castle web site for asylum.

Bear Grills

• Lol, hey Phil.

I'm not sure a model in a garden was mentioned, unless it was in relation to the magazine's mj gets? If so, it will be a model garden like a model home in the magazine.

Hoses, there's a link posted to the one I got. So clicking on the dark green text should take you to see it.

As for the Amazon, I'd want to go BECAUSE my plot is so small. Lots of space, wildlife, and exotic food. ;)

Lass

Xx

• FormerMember

You said the pic was you taking a pic of your garden?

Only models have pics of themselves taking pics so where is it?

Ive paid my taxis and left a tip. 

Friend of David Bailey