Living with incurable cancer - incurable patients only

This group is specifically for people with an incurable or terminal diagnosis. Whether you need to talk about dying, or about making the most of your life, you can discuss your feelings openly here.

Gardens, Gardening, Plants, etc 2019

Lass
Posted by

So, in fits and starts I've been doing up my garden. So the front now only needs my hanging basket - that's currently soaking in my sink - to be done and then it's done. I've weeded everything and put down some bark to help keep everything damp and cat poo free, hopefully.

Then I have my March seedlings ready to head outside once this cold snap passes. What's going on with the weather! Lol. It's freezing here in Leeds, and really windy too!

Sadly, I need to replant my aubergines because a rogue slug appeared from who knows where and very selectively found my aubergine plants and ate them all!!!

Then April planting that I need to get on with, consists of:

• Two types of courgette
  • Coriander
  • Chervil
  • Spinach
  • Endive
  • Another cabbage
  • Pak Choi
  • Cucamelon
  • Another carrot
  • Chinese Cabbage
  • Strawberry Sticks

I tried growing raspberries from seed, but they failed. So I've bought a couple of varieties from Amazon yesterday; because my visit to a couple of garden centres yesterday resulted in nothing.

I've still got to weed and bark my 4 pots out back with big plants - 2 blueberry bushes, clove currant, and the thing I can never remember what it's called, but is supposed to produce a type of fruit. Lol. But that can wait until I do a session of either planting seeds or planting seedlings, or all at once!

How are everyone else's gardens going?

Lass

XX

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

daloni
Posted by

Thanks for the lovely pictures, Lass. Good work! 

I did an hour weeding today and potted up some plug plants but that’s it! 

Xx

Lass
Posted by

Oh yes, I have a hanging basket soaking in the sink ready for three plugs I bought yesterday too. And thank you, I've slept a LOT after each foray into the garden. But I have to say, I'm really rather pleased with how it's looking and going.

What plugs have you potted up?

Lass

XX

Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Ms.Lin
Posted by

Lass, what lovely flowers. The colors are gorgeous. 

I hope your efforts will inspire me. Have done a little weeding. Have only Primulas and Hyacinth and violets blooming. Tulips have flower heads tightly closed with no color showing. Very cold and windy.

Wish for sun.Love to be out sitting in the garden even if I must wrap up as if embarked on a polar expedition, but cannot abide the wind.

Thank you for sharing the uplifting photos.

Lin
daloni
Posted by

Hi Lass

Osteospeemum and red hot pokers  

In the weeding I found the first shoots of the Himalayan poppy that graced my front garden last year - see pic. I do hope so, anyway. 

Xx

Gaynor31
Posted by

I love the blue poppies.  They don’t seem to like our garden though.  I’ve tried a few times but they never come up.

I’m waiting for it to warm up a bit so I can stand out at my potting bench and plant tomatoes seeds to go in the greenhouse.  Wish I had a potting she’d like Monty Don!

xxx

daloni
Posted by

Hi

it’s all in the soil. I think we have acid soil here - the camellia thrive at any rate. My neighbour has a pink one that is 12 foot high and smothered with flowers. 

Xx

flowerlady
Posted by

My tiny yard. Love gardens.

Flowerlady x
MCLkid
Posted by

Hello Fellow Gardners,

You have inspired me to go out tomorrow and pick up some starts as well as seeds to do My garden .

I will add pineapple alsoI have some papaya starts from seed and 1 that is tall and producing fruit. Yes,

Im in Hawaii. Im looking for onion bulbs but no joy yet. Also adding basil and ginger.

The gauntlet is fatigue after 3 hours work. But with your inspiration will do this day by day when energy is good.

TVman any plant/veggie suggestions for the tropics?

Love your photographs,

Warm wishes to all,

Millie

MCLkid
Educating myself about this disease.
daloni
Posted by

Oh my, Millie. A whole world of fabulous fruit, flowers and spices at your fingertips. How wonderful. 

My plans to plant out some small plants fell by the wayside today. No energy at all. Ho hum. Try again tomorrow 

xx

tvman
Posted by

Aloha Millie

I'm afraid you have me stumped there,  Millie. How jealous am I? You must have a plethora of tropical fruits at your fingertips! Over here we can grow, in south facing spots, one or two different types of banana plants although we need to wrap them up in fleece or bubble wrap from October to April to protect them from frosts. We'll have some fruits on them but they won't ever be edible because our growing season isn't long enough. A pilot friend of mine has a couple.

We can also grow a few species of palms. I have several Cordyline palms and one 12 foot tall, 25 yr old Chusan palm that I'm very proud of. I have the Chusan palm in an area of my garden that's protected from the north wind, so it's growing in a warmish microclimate. Cordyline palms are a very common sight in British gardens and many people buy a little selection of plants in a pot without realising that one of the plants is a palm. They're quite easy to propagate from a largish tree because they'll grow from the base.

I was in Madeira last year and there, many gardens grow an abundance of Bird of Paradise plants which I guess you'll be able to grow in Hawaii, but pop off to a decent garden centre and you should get good advice for growing different garden plants. 

You should be able to grow sweet potatoes, I grew them in my polytunnel a few years ago when I had full mobility. We can grow them here but it's best to buy slips instead of growing from seed potatoes, again because of our growing season. 

I've got to know my Haematologist pretty well over the years. His wife is from Malaysia so each year after he returns, he'll show me photos of different fruit and veg that I have never heard of and they are so exotic looking. My son's girlfriend is also Malaysian and her father has a plot there where he grows many types of fruit and vegetables that he sells at the roadside. He and his wife were over with us 3 years ago and he brought lots of photos. 

You're looking for onions? Do you buy onion sets in a small netting bag as we do here? I have around 200 onions planted this year. When I had more mobility and I wasn't a wheelchair user, I was Northern Ireland onion champion foy 3 years in a row, there wasn't much I didn't know about growing onions! I'm not as able to get around so this year I have raised the height of my raised beds so I can work at them a. little easier. Still hurts a lot though and for that reason I can only work for short periods.

I took some pics of bird of paradise plants last year when I was in Madeira so I will try to put one or more if I can, below.

Will you let me know about your climate and seasons if you have any! Have you heard of Bird of Paradise plants and is it something you grow in Hawaii? 

Aloha

Tvman

My philosophy is simple, love life and family.
tvman
Posted by

Hi Millie

Now I think I have the hang of it, here's a picture of my Chusan Palm. I hope!

Tvman

MCLkid
Posted by

Dear TVman, 

Thank you. I live hear the water, so there is a lot of salt that burns the birds of paradise and I have planted 3 different type of mangos that have expired from the salt.  I\\\ build a raised ged in the back of the house in the 'wind shadow' those are working well. I grow m own bananas, when I eat a GREAT papaya, I keep the seeds and plant them. Same for the pineapple, itit is great, I cut its head off and grow it.I have been so sick the last year with little energy that my risen bed is in shambles. But getting energy back and willl work t it daily.Star of India work well here and provide landscape along with salt resistant grass. Gardanias will do well for a season then poop put.

I have 2 coconut trees also.I am accustomed to planting onion from bulbs in Mill Vally,, California, but there are no bulbs on Kauai  for the past 2 months.  Might try to start some from seed.

I also like onions -sweet yellow onions and red onions.What are your favorite? Basil does well here also. When I get my strength back I will be planting full speed. Cherry tomatoes do best, yellow , orange or red.

My raised garden is wonderful, made out of redwood at sitting height and 21/2 feet wide and top board is wide enough for a decent seat where I can plant both sides from the same spot. Getting excited thinking about it, going out to look for plants tomorrow.

Thanks for your advice and you have got me excited to take the time and effort to get going.even if is only an hour at a time.

Warmest regards,

Millie

MCLkid
Educating myself about this disease.
Lass
Posted by

Hey Millie,

I've just spent some time Googling veg you can grow in Hawaii, near the coast and I've come up with this list for your consideration:

• Sweet potatoes
  • Green onions
  • Taro
  • Okra
  • Dry-land watercress
  • Jalapenos
  • Other haoli chilies
  • String Beans
  • Strawberries
  • Aubergines
  • Yard long beans
  • Arugula
  • Asian Melons
  • Papaya
  • Squash
  • Watermelon
  • Kaabocha pumpkin
  • Kale
  • Collards
  • Green onions
  • Uppland watercress
  • Gai lan
  • Bok choy
  • Wong bok

Now, some of them change depending on which coast you are on, and of which island. But I figured it's a list to have a look at and see if there's anything there you fancy trying.

Good luck, and have fun! I look forward to seeing the pics!

Lass

XX

tvman
Posted by

Aloha Millie

I googled your island and I see that it is sometimes called the Garden Isle. It sounds wonderful, so much so that I have to let my friends in this forum know how beautiful it sounds, so the next paragraph is from a website that I was looking at.

"Kauai is Hawaii's fourth largest island and is sometimes called the "Garden Island," which is an entirely accurate description. The oldest and northernmost island in the Hawaiian chain is draped in emerald valleys, sharp mountain spires and jagged cliffs aged by time and the elements. Centuries of growth have formed tropical rainforests, forking rivers and cascading waterfalls! Some parts of Kauai are only accessible by sea or air, revealing views beyond your imagination."

Wow, Millie, that I am sure has everyone's imagination racing now. However, it just shows how indiscriminate this horrible disease is, attacking people who live in what we would think is paradise. 

Good luck with your onions, my preference would be for the sweet tasting red onions. I only grew onions from seed for competition, the rest were from sets, that you call bulbs. You may find seed companies in yiou region that will sell onion plants that they have raised from seed and are young onion plants. That is very common in the United Kingdom now, the seeds companies are selling many plants direct to us, giving a head start. 

Many supermarkets, grocers and garden centres are also selling young plantlets but you need to get them planted up quickly or they outgrow the cells that they come in. 

Oh, to be able to grow pineapples and papaya! So jealous, so very very jealous. Your raised bed sounds lovely, you have done it perfectly, being able to reach everything in it from all sides. Too often, people make them too wide, then they need to stand on the soil to weed everywhere, which goes against the ethos of raised beds. No Standing On The Soil!

When you're not so healthy, an hour is plenty of time to garden. Unfortunately, my pain kicks in almost immediately I start gardening and I need to have a seat after 5 minutes because my back pain is so severe. I can do a little from seated, so I can toil on. 

Millie, I have to ask you something about the biggest fight we gardeners have in the UK-WEEDING! Do you have a continual fight against weeds? The best method of attack here is not to let them go to seed. One Year's Seed, Seven Year's Weed. That is always in my head while I am weeding, as is A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss. 

Millie, I could go on for ages, thanks very much for getting me to talk about gardening, you have really raised my spirits, given me a real lift. I hope it's the same for you and everyone who reads this. 

Aloha

Tvman