Baking - Tips, Questions, Discussions, Recipes.

• 266 replies
  • 48 subscribers

So, Bluebell suggested a thread like this might be of interest, so I figured I'd kick it off. I've mentioned in a couple of places that I'm a professionally trained baker and patissier, and I LOVE to talk about baked goods. I have SO MANY recipe books, and haven't made enough things from them all yet. The problem is, I have no-one to feed them to, and I'm trying to lose weight! So not really a good plan to bake like I want to and then eat it all..... lol

So if you need a recipe, have a problem with a recipe, just want to talk about an amazing cake you had, go for it!

Just continuing on the chat from elsewhere....

Bluebell, I lived and worked for three weeks in Iceland and 3 weeks in France as part of my training. BEST experiences I've ever had I think! I discovered so many new products and techniques, tasted so many new foods - it was amazing! I ever got to teach them some new products and gave them some new ideas too. I introduced scones, bakewell tart, and treacle tart to Iceland. And truffles to the little bakery in France I was in as a way to use up their crumb wastage.

But the different flavours of the breads and the cakes was what stood out. I don't know about the rest of the country, but Leeds is definitely missing a good and proper cake shop. I've found a good bread shop, but that's one in the whole of Leeds. And there are no cheese shops either! There's too much convenience and too many supermarkets with the cheap bread and cakes that are full of the cheapest ingredients and substitutes, as well as additives and preservatives.

The difference even between the fast and 'cheat' bread I made at college and the supermarket stuff was night and day. The proper stuff I made, wasn't even comparable.

I did a competition while at college, and I came up with a rhubarb and spelt loaf that was totally unlike anything else you get..... anywhere. Then I made some amazing lemon and coriander rolls, and some cheese and mustard rolls. OMG, those cheese and mustard rolls....... I need to make them again. They were outstanding!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Bluebell,

I would lovethe recipe for your cheese and mustard rolls. When you get time.

You’re a star 

Pepys xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I meant Lass! You’re the cheese and mustard roll girl. I can’t sleep, brain disintegration 

Pepys cx

• Not sure I've ever been called that before...  Lol

I'm currently on a train to Edinburgh for the weekend, but I'll look out the recipe for you once I get home for sure. Though I might need a reminder. My memory can be shocking! Lol

L

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Ah Lass,

Would Madam Lass gain a bit more favour. Or indeed flavour!

Where to start?

Sough dough? Adding lime to corn to change the PH to make tortillas?

No!

Help, advice with:

Lebanese cheese flat bread. Like a very thin nan but with cheese and garlic between two layers ( if that make sense).

And...........

Lardy cakes...........

• Lol. Heya Titus,

I do have a couple of Lebanese recipe books at home. And I think I know the one you are talking about. A Manakeesh, but with filling inside?

Is it that you need a recipe, or is something going wrong when you make the bread/Lardy cakes?

Let me know and I'll see what I can do!

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Hi

A Man keesh with filling!

Oh Joy........ My wife says!

Eaten in a restaurant ; would be grateful for recipe.

Lardy cakes Ah... Mine go flat...

help please

• Heya,

I'm back home on Sunday night, so watch this space on Monday!

;)

Lass

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lass! 

Delighted you started the page I have a feeling it is going to be popular! Wow just reading your work experience and I love the idea of traditional recipes being swopped and introducing new foods into a Country! It is hard to believe but with my Mum being English and bringing her recipes to Ireland a lot of my friends were delighted with sausage rolls when I was a kid in the 60s there were not heard of plus bacon and egg pie although her forte was pastry! Absolutely melt in the mouth and she was always in demand to bake for parties etc Both my grandmothers were professional cooks although it did not rub off on me! My paternal grandmother was French so I was lucky to grow up with a Dad who had that advantage and I was introduced to the more unusual from a young age common place nowadays but not back then in 60s Dublin he lived abroad for many years as he was in the British army so developed a taste for spicy foods and hot climates! Anytime I traveled he was always interested in the food and drink and he never was a drinker but believed in trying everything once!

I was thinking about all your lovely bread today and honestly, the sooner I get to that bakery the better! 

I got good news today the result of my scan shows the cancer is stable ! My Radio is being put back to review and replay my treatment! so something is working and My radio Dr said I had nothing to wory about at the moment! Plus I will be in contact with my Macmillan nursefrom the Hospice over the weekend! This I really wanted! Someone for moral and emotional support with whom I can plan my end of life plan with! It will not make me die any sooner but it will give me peace of mind to have it out of the way and i can get on with living!

Have a lovely weekend away and stay safe 

Love Bluebell xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Lass, I now can only think of those cheese and mustard rolls!! 

Post the recipe ASAP 

Bluebell xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

It really makes a difference to know there is someone for you,  I left my mobile at the hospital when I had chemo yesterday and she went out of her way to drop it in on her way home after her long gruelling shift although my son said he would pick it up today, 

lynda