Hello

• 1 reply
  • 27 subscribers

Hi 

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer at age 41. I had a right hemicolectomy and went on to have 20 years of relatively good health.

At age 60 (3 years ago) I was diagnosed again with 2 tumours. I had an ileostomy and spent 2 years hating having a bag instead of being grateful to have survived. I am now 8 weeks into a reversal and damn am i regretting it. My surgeon warned me that one of the tumours was very low down and reversal would be difficult. I’m due to go back to work next week and I am really struggling. I have some nights on the toilet every 10 mins for anything up to 8 hours. In preparation for work I am trying not to eat during the day so my bowel is empty. Really struggling with this at the moment.

• Hi Malona1612

i wanted to say hello 

I’m not in your position however I’m waiting for a reversal but an EAU will determine whether that’s possible so I won’t know until I wake up 

If you’re not well enough to return to work then maybe your GP will sign you off. I wouldn’t go back if I couldn’t eat or if I did I would need the toilet  

There’s medication to help and support to help. 

I have been assured that there’s a LARs support clinic. There’s also a forum here that’s just started up may be you can contact your team. 

Once you’ve managed your reversal and know when and what you can eat then you will have the confidence to work. At the moment it sounds like you need more time to recover 

I hope that things improve for you 

Ann
     ‍Art