General cancer discussions

If you’d like to talk about something that isn’t covered in our other groups, come here to start a discussion or to see other conversations. Other people may be hoping to talk about the same thing.

SLEEP (known as NIGHT) SWEATS!

teakbank12
Posted by

Hi

Unfortunately i've suffered night sweats for the last 20 plus years & put it down to having my Crohn's disease. It does not happen every night, but sometimes i awake to cold soaking sheets/pillow & have to move to a dry position in bed or change everything.

I often end up in a freezing cold bedroom (never have bedroom heating on) with all covers tossed to one side & still i'm sweating.

When i've been in hospital i've always asked for a fan beside the bed if the wards warm/stuffy.

It may be worth having a fan handy but be careful of draughts from either fan or window otherwise you'll end up with a stiff neck.

Dave

tessa2
Posted by
Another thought - Black Cohosh ( I think spelled roughly correctly) - some people swear by it and it is available from Boots, Holland and Barrett etc. I would suggest running it past GP or oncologist first though as despite being only a herbal remedy it can react with other medications sometimes. Tess x
If life throws lemons at you, make lemonade.
SleepyJo
Posted by

Hi Caroline

Just wondered how your mum ot on last night.

Jo

celiswan
Posted by

Hi Jo.  She got all her t-shirts out and placed them at the side of the bed along with a spare pillow and didn't need them!  One of the nights when it's not been too bad.  She did lay a towel across her pillow and said her head had remained dry.  She also put a towelling face cloth on her chest inside her nightie and said maybe that had helped with soaking up the moisture.  We'll see what happens tonight.  Thanks for asking.

Caroline XX 

celiswan
Posted by

I thought I would let you all know about my mum and her CHILLOW.  Yep we bought one and it arrived within a couple of days.  She used it for the first time yesterday afternoon and guess what, she was absolutely bone dry!  We thought maybe it was just coincidence but she has not woken up in a dry nightie for well over a year.  This is something she suffered long before her diagnosis.  We now know she must have had the cancer but we were unaware this was a symptom. 

Anyway I've just got up for work this morning and she got up to show me that she is bone dry again!!  Obviously it's early days but I can't tell you how much it meant to her, it's really perked her up.  Here's hoping it continues to work.  So for anyone who is suffering from these awful night sweats the chillow might be worth a go.  If you are buying one make sure you get it from the chillow website www.chillow.co.uk as there are seemingly fakes out there.  It was relatively inexpensive at £25 plus p&p for the original.  Mum has the plus which was slightly more expensive. 

Thanks so much to all of you who offered advice.  I'll keep you informed.

tessa2
Posted by
So glad the situation is improving - what a morale boost! Tessa x
If life throws lemons at you, make lemonade.
Lama
Posted by

Hello Sunshine girl

i hope you won’t mind me asking about your sweats with bowel cancer 

I am waitung for diagnosis everything is pointing to bowel cancer that’s been left

Did you only have the swears at night or in the day too were they on,y in certain area 

or all over 

I can’t fund many who have swears 

many thanks xxx

Lama
Posted by

HI Christine I saw your post about your dad having sweats with his bowel cancer were they on,y at night or in the day too were they in a localised area or all over I hope you don’t mind me asking you  x

Lama
Posted by

I see it was an old post I hadn’t put sweats. I need search bar I’ve just read yiur about you page .. I am so sorry to hear about your illness and that you lost you dad I am sorry I would t of messaged I didn’t note the date my apologies for the intrusion 

Freudy
Posted by

This is no help sorry but my dad is going though the exact same thing. It's causing him so much stress. He has no heating on even has a small window open but is dropping wet with sweat whenever he sleeps. Keep strong xx