General cancer discussions

If you’d like to talk about something that isn’t covered in our other groups, come here to start a discussion or to see other conversations. Other people may be hoping to talk about the same thing.

Helping a friend

laurarosee
Posted by

Hiya I need some help,

My best friend has been clear of cancer for over three years now but shes struggling massively with the mental side of recovery. She declined some support after treatment but at uni shes struggling and I was wondering how to help in anyway as i haven't experienced the same things as her.

Please help x

Bodach
Posted by

Hi Laura

Welcome to the online community and must say it's a wonderful thing you are doing in being a good supportive friend. It is always difficult knowing exactly what to do and say in these situations but it's nice to know that you are willing to go that extra mile to help your friend and have asked for our help so let me see if I can help you in some way.

Firstly we have a Family and friends group that might be of interest to you and speaking to the members over there, you can ask any questions you have to them no matter how small.

I also note (from another post) that you live in Nottingham and you and friend may like to pop into the Maggies Centre at the following address

Maggie's Nottingham

City Hospital Campus NG5 1PH

Tel: 0115 924 6210

They are very good at giving out very helpful support and although your friend declined support previously knowing that you are willing to attend meetings or be there when she speaks to the very nice people might be the incentive she needs to get some help and support.

You are more than welcome to come back on here at anytime to ask us questions about anything and we will answer you.

We also have a Life after cancer Group that might be of interest to you

I wish you well and hope that between us we can find the answers you are looking for to help your friend.

If I can be of any further help my name is Ian and you can contact me by typing the following

@Bodach when you see a little blue box appear click on it and this will change to a blue highlighted box and when you post your message it will appear as  and I will be sent an alert that you have sent me a message.

Ian

NOTE

When you see green bold text above click on it and this will open up new pages for you.

How to join a new group

Click on the groups name in green above and this will take you the groups home page look for join this group and click on it and this will make you a member of the group then look for start a discussion click on it fill in your question header and then ask your question and post.

It would also be helpful to the members if you could fill in something in your profile about why you are here. To get back to your home page click on your name and this will open up your page look for edit my profile and tell us more about you and your friend press save and this saves you having to repeat the story everytime you make a post.

● Groups ● Stoma Support ● Bowel ● Carers ● Anal●

What is a Community Champion?

How to update your PROFILE

If you have a problem why not speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support 365 days a year 8am to 8pm. on 0808 808 0000

The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

The Bodach is LIVING WITH A ST● MA