Death knocking at our door

• 16 replies
  • 36 subscribers

My father has oesophageal cancer and has been given 6 months.. totally crushed and broken that no treatment can save him.. I feel so so so angry at everyone! Surely there must be something! He’s so young and never hurt a soul, the most loving, caring, kindest person, this isn’t fair at all! I can’t imagine life without him and I’m angry at God for doing this and breaking our family in such a cruel way. I can’t even imagine what he’s going through. We’ve had to move my wedding closer so he can be there and all the future thoughts about grandchildren have suddenly disappeared. How can I ever be happy when we’re counting down the seconds, minutes and hours that painfully pass away… cherish your loved ones, you never know when death will come knocking at the door.. cancer is the cruelest thing and nobody deserves this.

• Oh it’s just all so difficult isn’t it. I do take comfort that there are so many lovely people wishing all our amazing dads well and a sense of solidarity. I am happy to hear atht your dads still with you and giving you all time but at times I find myself unable to breathe for the sheer horror of what’s to come and then try to remember to live in the moment and take pleasure in small things 

lots of love to you all and your hero dads Blue heart

• Thank you Steve. Definitely relate to counting down days now… we’ve been told a few short weeks and now every second seems so precious. He’s in so much pain and it’s heartbreaking to see… we’re going through old family albums but he can’t bare the thought of him not being able to see his grandkids in the future or see his younger 2 grow into the beautiful children that they are :(  

• Hope you are keeping as well as can be.. it is such a horrid time… we’ve all taken sabbatical from work for months to just be with Dad. Really puts things into perspective about what is important in life.. sending lots of strength your way !

• Hi Sarah, 

my dad has chemo stopped a few months ago which is a decision he took so he could be at my wedding! We pushed my wedding forward as it was his dream to be there.. since April eith no chemo (as they can’t do anything now) he has been in a lot of pain, can’t walk, eat or sleep… not a great quality of life at all.. been told a few weeks left now so making the most of the present with him now :( 

• We are similar my dad stopped chemo approx 3 weeks ago we are expecting to see a decline 

he’s already very tired and in pain but still able to walk short distances and potter about in short bursts 

we’ve done lots of memory books poems letters jars etc and it’s just the actual worst it’s been lovely to reflect on all our amazing times but it’s just too soon he’s 63 and has these amazing grandkids that he just wants to see grow up And spend time with them 

Everything seems very bleak and unfair and I’m dreading the next stage 

I’m still in work and not sure when to stop as it just feels very surreal 

sending you lots of love and strength 

xx

• Hi My dad sadly passed away 19 days ago :( 

Pur hearts are completely broken. We were told he on had 2 weeks to live and he decided he wanted to go to a hospice to relieve the burden on us looking after him.. we took a break from work and became full time caters which our dad couldnt bare the guilt of :( we respected his wishes and took him to a hospice where he was given ketamine and we were there with him 24/7 day and night. He spent 6 days at the hospice where he passed away with all of us beside him. It really feels surreal but he was in so much pain right until the moment he passed. It isn’t fair he was taken away from us at just 51 years and had all the future memories taken away from him and us! I’m here if you need anything but will say to put everything on hold and just focus on spending as much time with your dad as possible!