We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Express yourself

This is a space for self-expression, creativity, anything you might do to perhaps forget about cancer. Post photos of art, songs, poems, photos of any adventures you've been on - anything you like. Don't be shy, go ahead and express yourself!

Moving on - any advice would be welcome please!

Lesmis21
Posted by

Hi! My name is Louise but I prefer to be called Lou as Louise reminds me of my mum using it to tell me off when I was younger. About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with a brain tumour on the right frontal lobe having suffered with severe migraines and numerous visits to the doctors. they said you’re stressed and to consider getting a new job!

I worked in a local hotel for 17 years, starting off part time as a banqueting waitress which I loved but thought they were crazy asking me to silver serve water to a plate on my interview!! I did a BA (Hons) degree at the same time and after 4 years got a job as a trainee manager! Working in hoteIs I have learnt that no two days are ever the same but with support anything can be achieved!, My General Manager left in 2014 and everything in the hotel was turned upside down, so after 6 months I chose to become the Wedding Co-ordinator instead. Better hours, less stress!!!

Anyway in 2015 I had got 120 weddings on the books for the following year and was told it was not enough by the new General Manager! I was working 50 hours a week including weekends and evenings so that was when I started to get bad Migraines which some people thought I was putting on! 

So I did as the doctors said. Worked my two weeks notice and the second two weeks as luck would have it landed when I was going to take my annual leave. 

My partner and I had booked a cruise. 1st week was great, beginning of 2nd week an uncontrollable migraine hit me. Jon notified the cruise ship doctor who by this point I was not very responsive so they took me down to the ship’s hospital and gave me morphine which didn’t even touch it! Next day I couldn’t talk so poor Jon was given half an hour to pack our luggage. Luckily we were in port so they took us to the nearest hospital. They gave me more drugs and in 5 days I was back in Birmingham! It might sound strange but to see the hospital in the uk and know Mum and Dad were on their way was the best feeling ever!! The NHS are fantastic and we are so lucky to have them! I was in ICU and diagnosed with the brain tumour! It was a shock and I was scared but I was determined to beat it!

Another 4 days and I had been transferred overnight to another hospital and was in surgery by 9am petrified. The nurses were so lovely and they were able to remove as much as they could! To be honest it all felt like a dream! Within a couple of weeks I had started my 33 sessions of radiotherapy once various scans and my mask had been made! 

I had a bit of a break then it was straight onto Chemo! I was so relieved not to lose my hair! It thinned out but that was it!

3 years on and I now only have to see my consultant every 6 months. I need to get a job but still do get tired. Can anyone recommend what jobs I should do? 

Lou

Lesmis21
latchbrook
Posted by

Hi Lou and a very warm welcome to the online community

It sounds like you've been through an awful lot but it's great that you're now ready to move on and you want to find a job.

Could I suggest that you might like to join the brain tumours group and post there as well. You could then chat to others to see what sort of occupations they're in and see if any of them appeal to you. There is also a life after cancer group that you might be interested in joining.

To join either or both of these groups just click on the links I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the pages that open. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you have a minute it would be useful if could pop something about your journey into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I do hope you can find a job that appeals to you.

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

buttercup01
Posted by

Hi

Why not try posting this in the Life after cancer group?

Sue

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.