Express yourself

This is a space for self-expression, creativity, anything you might do to perhaps forget about cancer. Post photos of art, songs, poems, photos of any adventures you've been on - anything you like. Don't be shy, go ahead and express yourself!

Songs that express how u feel

fl0ralW0man
Posted by

Many moons ago I worked as a nursing auxiliary n used to quietly  sing " Smile tho your heart is aching" ( the Demis Roussos version ) while washing the metal bedpans in the sluice late at night. I really didn't like that task!

It occurs to me now it's an appropriate song for those of us dealing with cancer, whether we fight it or live with it.

Has anyone else got similar songs?

If you don't know the words of mine, I'll post them in a future post lol

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
greg777
Posted by

Hi FloralWoman,

I think the power of song is massively understated in the cancer “journey”. Indeed, I created a whole playlist of songs to get me through the rough times. I am 3 years post treatment now and your post prompted me to revisit that playlist and it takes me right back. Here are some of them:

Panic at the Disco - Nine in the afternoon - “Picking up things we shouldn’t read, it looks like the end of history as we know, it’s just the end of the world.... Into a place where thoughts can bloom, into a room where it’s nine in the afternoon...Your eyes are the size of the moon. You’re good ‘cause you can, so you do...”

Nicki Minaj - Starships - “Get on the floor, floor, like it’s your last chance. If you want more, more, then here I am. Starships were meant to fly. Hands up and touch the sky. Can’t stop ‘cause we’re so high, let’s do this one more time”

Pitbull - Give Me Everything - “Give me everything tonight, for all we know, we might not get tomorrow, so let’s do it tonight”

Britney Spears - Everytime - “I may have made it rain, please forgive me. My weakness caused you pain. And this song’s my sorry...At night I pray, that soon your face will fade away”

Blink 182 - Adam’s Song - “I traced the cord back to the wall, no wonder it was never plugged it all”

The Offspring - Gotta Get Away - “Kinda crazy, the shape I’m in, the walls are shrinking and they’re closing in... Sitting on the bed or lying wide awake, demons in my head and it’s more than I can take...All I know is I gotta get away from me”

Travis - Side - “the grass is always greener on the other side, the neighbour’s got a new car that you wanna drive, and when time is running out, you wanna stay alive. We all will live, we all will die. The circle only has one side.”

Green Day - Do da da - “every time I’m falling down, you take the repercussions. Headaches and anxieties advancing my frustrations. Rush into my depression, sacrifice everything. Waste with me into nothing. Well now you’re stuck with me.”

REM - I’ll take the rain - “I used to think, as birds take wing, they sing through life so why can’t we. We cling to this, and claim the best, if this is what you’re offering, i’ll take the rain.”

My Chemical Romance - I’m not okay - “Well if you wanted honesty, that’s all you had to say.”

Alkaline Trio - Mercy Me - “it’s been a long day living with this, it’s been a long time since I felt so sick....Oh mercy me, God bless catastrophe, there’s no way in hell you’ll ever live to see through this”

Foo Fighters - I’ll stick around - “I don’t owe you anything...i’ll stick around and learn from all that came from it”

The Futureheads - Skip to the End - “if I could cheat, I would skip to the end and decide if it’s worth going through with. Skip to the last paragraph before we start. Is it a happy ending or a broken heart?”

Placebo - Commercial for Levi - “I understand the fascination, the dream that comes alive at night. But if you don’t change your situation, then you’ll die, you’ll die, don’t die, don’t die, please don’t die.”

St Etienne - You’re in a bad way - “Toast is burnt, and your coffee’s cold, and you leave all the post ‘cause it’s nothing but bills again”

The 1975 - Chocolate - “we go where nobody knows with guns hidden under our petticoats. And we’re never gonna quit it, no we’re never gonna quit it, no”

The Wanted - Glad You Came - “The sun goes down, the stars come out, and all that counts is here and now. My universe will never be the same, I’m glad you came.”

Looking back now, over 4 years since diagnosis, I realize just how much of this is a mental battle as much as anything else. And there is something about music which can pinpoint a feeling so well. There are certainly times when I think a song really helped me get through it.

All the best

Greg

fl0ralW0man
Posted by

Hi Greg your post reminded me I have 2 CDs my son helped me create, full of upbeat songs I could move to. I took one with me when I went to have my cyberknife treatment 6 years ago. Must revisit them  Will repost on here when I have then you'll know what's on there, eg some drum n bass, Emile Sande, right mixture 

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.