Emotional issues

Cancer can be emotionally draining, but sharing your feelings can help you and others in your situation. Talk about it here.

Indivisible

Johnty
Posted by

Indivisible 

adjective

unable to be divided or separated.

if there’s one thing I would like the nhs to take on board is the fact that the emotional well being of their patients is just as important as the medical care they receive and if it isn’t a integrated part of the treatment plan it’s often partners and family members that are left at a loss to know how to help their loved ones. That’s what patient centred care should really be, but I see enough posts to tell me that we have much further to go to make it a reality, an example of that would be the after care for men with prostrate cancer and their partners. 

best wishes

jane

“ A trouble shared is a trouble halved “
Kazdan
Posted by

I totally agree, McMillan is great for sharing your worries too but there is no real help or advice for partners to discuss how they feel or how to be with there partners after diagnosis x

Kazdan
Johnty
Posted by

Dear I think any condition that effects the intimacy between partners is something that should be taken seriously by the medical profession as it can have far reaching consequences. It’s one of those subjects that has yet to be discussed openly in the media as it’s such a delicate topic. I don’t think it helps that men find it difficult to open up about their concerns for the future. Part of the problem i suspect is that as treatment is generally successful your expected to toddle off and just get on with things, if only it were that simple. Are there support groups where men can go and talk freely about their problems ? And I think the same should apply to partners. Although it’s not a substitute I think maintaining body to body contact is important even if it doesn’t lead to full intimacy.

best wishes

jane

Thehighlander
Posted by

From my experience, our local  Maggie’s Centre run a weekly men only support group covering ‘everything’ with no subject taken off the table. They also provide support for couples again no subject is bard.

We also found our SCNs to be very supportive during and even 4 years post treatments so there are pockets of support out there.

Mike - Thehighlander

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Johnty
Posted by

Dear that is great news. I hope anybody in this situation will consider this as an option to get some much needed support. It’s a big step but one worth taking to have a better future together as a couple. I know how much it has benefitted me to be able to talk freely about my own individual problems in a non judgmental environment. When you say things out loud they seem to have less power over your emotions.

best wishes

jane