We understand that people with cancer are worried about coronavirus. Here is the latest guidance. We will update it regularly.

Emotional issues

Cancer can be emotionally draining, but sharing your feelings can help you and others in your situation. Talk about it here.

Low

buttercup01
Posted by

Thanks for this Paul

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
shortfriend
Posted by

Dear Mike,

What a beautiful picture and comforting answer. I love the way you see the online community represented, what you see describes how I feel. I love this community, we all take many different roles depending on how we are feeling. One day the comforter the next day needing comfort. I always get reassurance and comfort from your posts and the other "leaders" in the community. Thank you for caring about us and sharing your many experiences. You strike me as a very wise, compassionate person and I feel so lucky to have "met" you and the others on this forum. I have learned so much from everyone. All the replies from forum members to Inanna demonstrate the kindness that is continually shown to others including my self and I am impressed by the creative talent many people have. I hope you feel better tomorrow Inanna, we know these feelings will pass until the next rollercoaster! There is always someone here  to catch us when we fall and all forum members have lifted my spirits through art, wise answers, general sharing of experience and lots of brave humour. I wish I could meet you at the next get together but I won't manage it, but I will be looking forward to reading about it and expecting to laugh at the news. Hope everyone manages to get some peaceful sleep tonight, I am off to see what the "fruit loops" are saying whilst munching on my middle of the night snacks!

Thanks, love and hugs to you all

Pat xx

Inanna
Posted by

Hi Paul

I agree with you and when there is laughter it makes the day a lot better. This Forum is a saviour, feel low get on the forum, if you want a laugh get on the forum, if you need advice or can give advice, well you know where to go.  I have a thread called Amusing Hospital Stories, I bet you have a ton so please share.

Love Inanna

xx

I know that I don't know
Thehighlander
Posted by

Hi again Dee , so sorry that you are feeling low, pared, alone and living with the fear of the unknown.

So at least you have found the Community - a safe place to talk and be supported. I see that you have joined our Living with incurable cancer - incurable patients only Group. This would be a great place to connect with people who totally understand the journey you are on. 

What about checking out the following links to see if there is a place where you can sit and talk one on one with someone - this would help a lot so check to see if there are any Local Macmillan Support or even a Maggie’s Centre in your area.

You may also want to check our Macmillan Support Line Services - call them on 0808 808 00 00 This is a place where you can make a cup of tea and talk with a real person.

I do remember 20 years back when I was first diagnosed with my condition being told that it was incurable and would 'get me' at some point in time....... and had to calendar to work towards.

We had to live with this for over our heads for many years, but the development in treatment has meant that I have actually been told I am in remission......... but no guarantees.

How did we position ourselves on the spectrum of life and living? We very quickly agreed that we live every day to its full, as though it was our last day together.

I read this in a post on the Community a few weeks back........ 'We can all be run over by a bus as any time and that everyones bus had left the depot.......... but we don't know whether ours was still parked up or just around the corner'

I think that this describes the stance we took well........ live what life we have to the full, find people who you can walk this life with and don't be looking for the bus, but look for the safe place to 'be'

((hugs))

Mike - Thehighlander

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Inanna
Posted by

Hi Pat

Thank you so much for your lovely post.

IYes it is a roller coaster ride but the plusses are the kindness of people.  This wonderful forum, the hospital gang and friends and family.

I am so grateful to all of you for making me laugh, being there on the downturns and your understanding.

Love Inanna xx

I know that I don't know
Thehighlander
Posted by

Good morning Pat , I am so pleased that you found some comfort in my post but most of all love that you find the Community to be like a diamond  - a multi faceted place where everyone can be who they are and find what they need just at the right time.

We are still staying with our youngest daughter/husband and second oldest granddaughter as we are getting our 22 year old kitchen replaced. We had a run over to have a look yesterday and promptly came back for another night - the great clean and decoration starts tomorrow.

I often talk about positioning our mindset to get through all the stuff that life and indeed a cancer journey can throw at us. It's snowing rather strongly in and around Inverness this morning and the picture is of our granddaughters reaction to the snow...... its not seen as a "Oh no, how can I get to school? - the world is coming to an end!!" type thing......... it's more an opportunity to grab life right at that moment in time, to enjoy the moment, to make memories and enjoy them........ mind you I did not join her when she asked me to come play.

Four years back we were told to get all our affairs in order, but during those four years we have seen the birth of our 4th granddaughter, been to places that we never thought we would ever see, had our 40th weeding anniversary......... and put in a new kitchen......lol 

Time is precious, people are precious and a good mindset says " don't waste energy stressing over stuff that we just don't have control over but put our energy into getting through each day and enjoying the moment" - coffee time I say.

((hugs))

Mike - Thehighlander

Inanna
Posted by

And I will have a good strong cup of Scottish tea sans Whisky, put the kettle on

Love Inanna ss

I know that I don't know
Alex Simplicity
Posted by

Knowledge dispels fear.... Motto of my old regiment! 

K.I.S.S! 
tvman
Posted by

Hi Big Man/ 

I haven't seen your name around for a while, I found 3 messages from Rachel, with links, in my spam folder. Dear knows how many I've missed ,Ihaven't looked in my spam folder for months

I saw your reply, very kind reply, to My Journey a couple of days ago and I decided to read your profile which is nothing less than fantastic. You've gone through a lot, such a lot mate. 

I've just read your reply to Inanna and if that doesn't give encouragement to anyone........

Keep up the good work and I am still looking forward to the single malt 

Tvman

My philosophy is simple, love life and family.
Thehighlander
Posted by

Still as active as ever  but we journey in different groups now my friend. I do eavesdrop on the great support you give to others - keep up the great work.

It was my 64th birthday a few days ago so one of my daughters gave me an amazing bottle of Ardbeg 10 Year Old Islay Single Malt....... if you don’t turn up in the next month it’s gone...... mind you there are a few more bottles in the cupboard.

Looking forward to see your Part 2 of your blog.

We have been down West for a few days away at Ballachulish and the amazing Glencoe and I saw this quote at the Glencoe Visitors Centre.

“After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb” Nelson Mandela.

Keep climbing (wheeling) my friend.

Mike - Thehighlander

Alex Simplicity
Posted by

Absolutely!

God grant us the serenity to accept the things we can't change. 

Happy Christmas 

K.I.S.S!