Emotional issues

Cancer can be emotionally draining, but sharing your feelings can help you and others in your situation. Talk about it here.

Cared for and caring

Bertha Mary
Posted by

I have been diagnosed with primary breast cancer, had an operation and am now due to start adjuvant treatments which will be very draining, I am a carer to my adult autistic children and they and I are very upset and confused about how to cope with all of this. We usually manage very well and they are trying hard to care for me too, but are struggling. I am going to phone the helpline today to get the help we need. Any advice would be welcome,

latchbrook
Posted by

Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to see that you have breast cancer and that your children are very upset and confused about your diagnosis. Hopefully, you got some good advice from the helpline today. 

I see that you have joined the breast cancer group and I'm sure you'll get lots of help and support from the lovely people over there.

Wishing you and your children all the best

x

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

What is a Community Champion?

Bertha Mary
Posted by

Thank you for your good wishes latchbrook.

we are already reaping the benefits of joining the groups and accessing the helpline. I have had so many lovely messages of support that have really helped me feel better and my children are also relieved that there is help out there.

I have discovered help with transport, tips on how to cope with all the feelings that are overwhelming me and a booklet for my children, who are now carers for me, to cope with their emotions and feelings. As a family we are drawing closer together and it is teaching all of us valuable lessons, For instance, they have realised that they will be able to cope practically with housework when I am too old or infirm to do it, which was a big worry for all of us.

Hope you have a nice weekend xx